Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online:
Patrol Yacht Photo Archive


Call sign:
George - Quack - Boy - King

Aileen served the U. S. Navy and both the New York and Rhode Island Naval Militia.

Patrol Yacht:

  • Built in 1896 by John Roach and Son, Chester, PA
  • Acquired by the Navy 28 April 1898
  • Commissioned 14 May 1898
  • Decommissioned 26 September 1898
  • Transferred to the New York Naval Militia 18 May 1899
  • Returned to Navy custody 18 November 1909
  • Placed in service 30 April 1910
  • Transferred to the Rhode Island Naval Militia in late 1910
  • Returned to Navy custody 7 April 1917
  • Decommissioned 5 July 1919
  • Struck from the Navy list 12 August 1919
  • Sold 20 November 1920 to Tams, Lemoin and Crane of New York City
  • Fate unknown.


  • Displacement 192 t.
  • Length 120'
  • Beam 20'
  • Draft 8'
  • Speed 14 kts.
  • Complement 33
  • Armament: One 3-pounder and two 1-pounders
  • Propulsion: Two Roberts boilers, one 500ihp vertical triple expansion steam engine, one shaft.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    Aileen 126k In dry dock, fitting out for service, at the New York Navy Yard, 17 May 1898. The cruiser Topeka is in the background.
    National Archives photo 19-N-17-5-2
    Naval Historical Center
    Aileen 134k In dry dock at the New York Navy Yard, Brooklyn, New York, while being converted for naval service, 17 May 1898. Note light armor plate being installed on her hull amidships to protect her boilers.
    U.S. Navy photo NH 57751
    Aileen/Viking 91k Moored at the New York Navy Yard, Brooklyn, New York, after being fitted for naval service, 21 May 1898. Ship getting underway is Viking another yacht converted for use in the
    Spanish-American War.
    National Archives photo 19-N-19-16-10
    Aileen 64k A half tone reproduction of a photograph of Aileen (1898-1920) taken in 1899, probably after Aileen's transfer to the New York Naval Militia. Copied from " The New Navy of the United States", by N. L. Stubbins, (New York, 1912).
    Donation of David Shadell, 1987
    Naval History and Heritage Command photo NH 98246
    Robert Hurst
    Aileen 79k Photo probably taken during her service with the Rhode Island State Naval Militia.
    Photo from the 1914 edition of Jane's Fighting Ships
    Aileen 118k Underway, circa 1899-1908. Note her 45-star National Ensign.
    Courtesy of Donald M. McPherson, 1969
    Naval History and Heritage Command photo NH 67564
    Aileen 104k In port, prior to World War I. New York and New Haven Railway cars are on the dock behind her.
    Courtesy of Donald M. McPherson
    Naval History and Heritage Command photo NH 771187

    Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships: Aileen--a yacht built in 1896 at Chester, Pa., by John Roach & Sons--was purchased by the Navy on 28 April 1898; converted for naval service by the New York Navy Yard; and commissioned there on 14 May 1898 Lt. William Kilburn in command.

    Found unfit for cruising the open seas, Aileen served on coastal defense through the Spanish-American War. On 18 May 1899 the converted yacht was transferred to the New York Naval Militia on loan for use as a training ship. On 18 November 1909, the New York Naval Militia returned Aileen to the Navy. She was placed in service at the Portsmouth (N. H.) Navy Yard on 30 April 1910- but, sometime later that year, the yacht was transferred to the Rhode Island Naval Militia and served the state of Rhode Island training naval militiamen until the United States entered World War I on 6 April 1917. The following day, Aileen was reacquired by the Navy and placed in commission once again. For the duration of the war, she served in the 2d Naval District, patrolling the New England coastline between New London and Block Island Sound. After February 1919, she operated from New London with the Reserve Squadron, Antisubmarine Squadrons, engaged in training missions. She was decommissioned on 5 July 1919 and 18 days later, was ordered sold. Her name was struck from the Navy list on 12 August 1919. On 20 November 1920, she was sold to Tams, Lemoin & Crane, of New York City.

    Back To The Main Photo Index Back To the Patrol Craft/Gunboat/Submarine Chaser Index Back To The Patrol Yacht (PY) Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created and maintained by Joseph M. Radigan
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History