Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.
NavSource Online: Patrol Craft/Gunboat/Submarine Chaser Photo Archive
Amber (PYc 6)
Nan - Baker - Fox - Love
Coastal Patrol Yacht:Built in 1930 as the yacht Infanta by Lake Union Dry Dock Co., Seattle, WARenamed PolarisPurchased by the Navy 23 December 1940Renamed Amber and designated a Coastal Patrol Yacht, PYc-6, 10 January 1941Commissioned USS Amber (PYc-6), 3 March 1941 at SeattleDecommissioned 18 October 1944Struck from the Naval Register 13 November 1944Transferred to the War Shipping Administration and sold back to her original owner, Edward and Katherine Lowe, 13 June 1945Acquired by the Foss Towing Co., Seattle (now Foss Maritime) and renamed M/Y Thea FossAs of 2003 she was still operating out of Seattle.
Specifications:Displacement 260 t.Length 120'Beam 21' 5"Draft 10' 6"Speed 12.5 kts.Armament: One 3"/50 dual purpose gun mount and two depth charge tracksPropulsion: One 550bhp diesel engine, one shaft.
|Click on thumbnail
for full size image
||Off Seattle, WA in No. 5 "Navy gray" in 1941. Amber had been built originally for actor John Barrymore. Note her 3-inch gun forward, and two depth charge tracks aft, as well as her designation PYc 6, at the bow.
National Archives photo 80-G-456631 from the Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships
|Original photo: Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships
Replacement photo: Robert Hurst
In West Sound, off San Juan Island, WA
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships:
A hard, translucent fossil resin which is normally yellowish to brownish in color. Since it can be highly polished, amber is used as a gem.
Polaris—a yacht built in 1930 at Seattle, Washington, by the Lake Union Dry Dock Co.—was purchased by the Navy from Edward and Kathryn Lowe on 23 December 1940, converted for naval service by the Winslow Marine Railway and Shipbuilding Co. Inc., Winslow, Washington; renamed Amber on 10 January 1941 and simultaneously designated PYc-6, and placed in commission at Seattle on 3 March 1941, Lt. W. B. Combs in command.
Amber was assigned to the Inshore Patrol of the 13th Naval District and, from May until early August, operated around Seattle, Tacoma, and Port Townsend, Wash. The patrol craft left Seattle on 6 August on a cruise to Alaska, and visited Ketchikan, Juneau, and Sitka, before returning to Seattle early in September.
In November, the ship was assigned to patrol duty at Astoria, Oregon., and patrolled the Strait of Juan de Fuca off Neah Bay, Washington, under the control of the Northwest Sea Frontier Patrol Group.
Amber was decommissioned on 18 October 1944 and her name was struck from the Navy list on 13 November 1944. The ship was sold back to her former owners on 13 June 1945.
This page created by Gary P. Priolo and maintained by Joe Radigan|