|Click on thumbnail
for full size image
|No image of YP-425 is available at this time|
A general word classification.
Brave means characterized by courage; ready to incur peril without flight or flinching.
The steel-hulled diesel-engined yacht Rose B. – built in 1930 at Bay City, Mich., by the Defoe Boat and Motor Works. – was acquired on 5 April 1942 by the Port Director at Miami, Fla., from Besor Properties, Inc., of New York City, N.Y., for conversion to a coastal yacht; was renamed Brave (PYc-34) on 11 April 1942; and was earmarked for duty in the Eastern Sea Frontier on 15 April 1942. The intent was to place Brave in full commission “after completion of conversion and upon receipt of sufficient personnel.
Brave, however, was redesignated as a district patrol craft, YP-425, on 14 June 1942. Successive message traffic indicates that the patrol vessel was first to be placed in service within the 6th Naval District, or then the 5th, ultimately in each case to be assigned to Commander, Amphibious Forces, Atlantic. YP-425 proceeded to the Naval Operating Base at Norfolk, Va., where she was placed in service on 30 December 1942 to operate under Commandant, 5th Naval District. Commander in Chief, U.S. Fleet assigned her to Service Squadron 1, Atlantic Fleet, on 29 September 1943.
Deemed “surplus to Navy needs” on 18 September 1945, YP-425 was placed out of service on 28 November 1945. Stricken from the Navy list on 8 May 1946, she was sold on 31 July 1946 and turned over to the Maritime Commission at Claremont, Va., on 1 August 1946.
|Back To The Main Photo Index||Back to the Patrol Craft/Gunboat/Submarine Chaser Index||Back to the Coastal Patrol Yacht (PYc) Photo Index|
|Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster|
This page created and maintained by Joseph M. Radigan|