Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.
Submarine Chaser Photo Archive
Nan - Xray - Yoke - Sugar
ex-U.S. Army Artillery Steamer V-8
George - Tare - Nan - Fox
SC-279 served both the U. S. Navy and the Army
SC-1 Class Submarine Chaser:Laid down at Mare Island Navy Yard, Mare Island, CALaunched 21 August 1917Commissioned USS SC-279, 11 April 1918Conducted trial runs 13 April, 24 April and 29 April 1918Departed Mare Island 3 May 1918Transferred to the War Department 2 October 1919 and reclassified as Artillery Steamer, V-8Sold in 1922 to E. K. Wood of Seattle, WA and named EkwoodSold in 1926 to F. E. Lewis of Los Angeles, CA and renamed StrangerLater sold to L. F. Dalton of Los AngelesReacquired by the Navy in November 1942, placed in service as YP-594 and assigned to the West Coast Sound Training School, San Diego, CAPlaced out of service in December 1944Struck from the Naval Register 23 February 1945Transferred to the War Shipping Administration for disposal in November 1945Sold and renamed StrangerFoundered 17 July 1948, 4-miles southwest of San Onofre, CA.
Specifications:Displacement 85 t.Length 110'1920 - 105'Beam 17'1920 - 14.5'Draft 6' 6" (fl)1920 - 9.2'Speed 17 kts.Complement 271920 - FiveArmament: One 3"/23 mount, two .30 cal. machine guns, and one depth charge projector (Y-gun)Propulsion: Three 220hp Standard gasoline engines, three shafts.
|Click on thumbnail
for full size image
||Eight of the 15 sub chasers built at Mare Island during World War I are shown in this 1918 photo being outfitted. The vessels shown are from right to left are: SC-280, 279, 278, 277, 276, 275, 274 and 273
||Darryl L. Baker
|01||ENS Frank B. McGurrin, USNRF||1918 - 1919|
There is no DANFS history available for SC-279
Additional Resources and Web Sites of Interest
Patrol Craft Sailors Association
This page created and maintained by Joseph M. Radigan|