Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online:
Submarine Chaser Photo Archive

SC-285



Call sign (1924):
Nan - Oboe - Sail - Nan


Call sign (1919):
George - Tare - Nan - Pup

SC-1 Class Submarine Chaser:

  • Laid down at Mare Island Navy Yard, Mare Island, CA
  • Launched 20 April 1918
  • Commissioned 2 May 1918
  • Conducted trial runs 2, 10, 14, 21 and 24 May 1918
  • Entered Dry Dock No. 2, 29 May - 3 June 1918
  • Conducted additional trial runs 4 June 1918
  • Departed Mare Island 7 June 1918
  • Decommissioned 28 August 1919 at Coco Solo, Canal Zone
  • Sold 25 March 1927 to C. S. Doney of Terminal Island, CA
  • Fate unknown.

    Specifications:

  • Displacement 85 t.
  • Length 110"
  • Beam 14' 8.75"
  • Draft 5' 8"
  • Speed 18 kts.
  • Complement 27
  • Armament: One 3"/23 gun mount, two .30 cal. machine guns and one depth charge projector "Y Gun"
  • Propulsion: Three 220hp Standard gasoline engines, three shafts.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    PE-4 319k c. 1920
    SC-285 outboard of PE-4
    Naval Historical Center photo NH 74649
    Dan Treadwell
    SC-285 29k c. January - October 1923
    SC-285 at the Coco Solo Submarine Base, Panama Canal Zone. Conning tower of USS R-26 (SS 103) is visable in the foreground.
    Ric Hedman, TN(SS)
    SC-285/SS-66 102k c. October 1923
    SC-285 outboard of the Crane "Atlas" lifting the sunken USS O-5 (SS 66) at Coco Solo Submarine Base, Panama Canal Zone.

    There is no DANFS history available for SC-285
    Additional Resources and Web Sites of Interest
    Patrol Craft Sailors Association
    Back To The Main Photo Index Back To the Patrol Craft/Gunboat/Submarine Chaser Ship Type Index Back to the 110' Submarine Chaser (SC) Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created and maintained by Joseph M. Radigan
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History