Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online:
Submarine Chaser Photo Archive

SC-287



Call sign (1924):
Nan - Oboe - Sail - Quack


Call sign (1919):
George - Tare - Nan - Rush

SC-1 Class Submarine Chaser:

  • Laid down at Mare Island Navy Yard, Mare Island, CA
  • Launched 27 April 1918
  • Commissioned 6 May 1918
  • Conducted trial runs 9, 15, 18, 25 and 28 May 1918
  • Entered Dry Dock No. 2, 29 May - 3 June 1918
  • Conducted additional trial run 4 June 1918
  • Departed Mare Island 7 June 1918
  • Sold 25 February 1924 to the United Fruit Co. of Panama City, Republic of Panama
  • Fate unknown.

    Specifications:

  • Displacement 85 t.
  • Length 110"
  • Beam 14' 8.75"
  • Draft 5' 8"
  • Speed 18 kts.
  • Complement 27
  • Armament: One 3"/23 gun mount, two .30 cal. machine guns and one depth charge projector "Y Gun"
  • Propulsion: Three 220hp Standard gasoline engines, three shafts.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    SC-287
    SC-286/287 103k SC-287 being launched at Mare Island Navy Yard on 27 April 1918. She was the last of her type constructed at the yard. The just launched SC-286 can be seen on the right. Darryl L. Baker
    USS SC-287
    Agamemnon 85k Agamemnon (ID 3004) arriving in Boston Harbor, Massachusetts, circa late 1918 or the first part of 1919, returning the U.S. Army's 102nd Infantry from Europe. USS SC-287 is at left.
    U.S. Navy Photo NH 57479
    Naval Historical Center

    There is no DANFS history available for SC-287
    Additional Resources and Web Sites of Interest
    Patrol Craft Sailors Association
    Back To The Main Photo Index Back To the Patrol Craft/Gunboat/Submarine Chaser Ship Type Index Back to the 110' Submarine Chaser (SC) Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created and maintained by Joseph M. Radigan
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History