Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online:
Submarine Chaser Photo Archive

SC-346



Call sign:
George - Cast - Have - Rush

SC-1 Class Submarine Chaser:

  • Built in 1918 by the American Car and Foundry Co., Wilmington, DE
  • Commissioned 25 March 1918
  • Sold 28 April 1920 to the Savannah Pilots' Association of Savannah, GA
  • Fate unknown.

    Specifications:

  • Displacement 85 t.
  • Length 110"
  • Beam 14' 8.75"
  • Draft 5' 8" (fl)
  • Speed 18 kts.
  • Complement 27
  • Armament: One 3"/23 gun mount, two .30 cal. machine guns and one depth charge projector (Y-Gun)
  • Propulsion: Three 220hp Standard gasoline engines, three shafts.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    SC-222 298k Original photo: Group of chasers, possibly at Brest, France. Left to right: SC 271, SC 164, SC 272, SC 343, SC 181, SC 222, SC 254, SC 356, SC 323, SC 206, SC 346. En route home or to post-war assignements. During the war all of these chasers served at Queenstown, Ireland (and most also served at Plymouth, England). After the war, half a dozen from this group went on to serve in the clearing of the North Sea mine barrage
    Replacement photo: c. 1918
    Group of chasers at Passage West, near Queenstown (Cobh), County Cork, Ireland
    Original photo: The Sub Chaser Archives
    Replacement photo: Paul O'Farrell

    Commanding Officers
    01ENS Charles H. Harris, USNRF - Awarded the Navy Cross (1918)25 March 1918
    Courtesy Joe Radigan

    There is no DANFS history available for SC-346
    Additional Resources and Web Sites of Interest
    Patrol Craft Sailors Association
    Back To The Main Photo Index Back to the Patrol Craft/Gunboat/Submarine Chaser Ship Index Back to the 110' Submarine Chaser (SC) Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created and maintained by Joseph M. Radigan
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History