Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online:
Submarine Chaser Photo Archive

SC-705



Call sign:
Nan - Xray - Baker - Nan

ex-PC-705


SC-497 Class Submarine Chaser:

  • Laid down 7 March 1942 by the Elizabeth City Shipyard, Elizabeth City, NC
  • Launched 24 April 1942
  • Commissioned PC-705, 2 October 1942
  • Reclassified SC-705 in April 1943
  • Decommissioned 22 January 1946
  • Struck from the Naval Register 7 February 1946
  • Transferred to the Maritime Commission 3 September 1946
  • Fate unknown.

    Specifications:

  • Displacement 148 t.
  • Length 110' 10"
  • Beam 17'
  • Draft 6' 6"
  • Speed 15.6 kts.
  • Complement 28
  • Armament: One 40mm mount, two .50 cal. machine guns, two depth charge projector "Y Guns," and two depth charge tracks
  • Propulsion: Two 880bhp General Motors 8-268A diesel engines, Snow and Knobstedt single reduction gear, two shafts.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    SC-705 48k c. August 1945
    North Atlantic
    Vincent A. Grobbel, BM1/c, USCG
    via Mike Grobbel
    SC-705 122k 6 August 1945
    Crew of SC-705 preparing to be towed by the USS Davenport (PF 69) from the North Atlantic to
    Reykjavik, Iceland.
    SC-705 42k

    There is no DANFS history available for SC-705
    History Addendum:

    SC-705

    She was laid down on 7 March 1942 by the Elizabeth City Shipyard, Elizabeth City, North Carolina. She was launched on 24 April 1942 and commissioned as USS PC-705 on 2 October 1942 with her Coast Guard crew aboard. Her Coast Guard crew was removed on 22 January 1946.

    She was decommissioned on 22 January 1946. She was transferred to the Maritime Commission on 3 September 1946; Struck from the Naval Register. Fate unknown.

    Her commanding officers were (list incomplete): LTJG J. F. Claussen, USCG; LTJG W. L. Martin, USCGR (24 July 1945); ENS C. W. Roll, USCG (22 September 1945).

    SC-705's Official Coast Guard History

    COMMISSIONING

    The USS SC-705 was commissioned on 2 October 1942. (1942 and 1943 War Diaries are not available).

    From January 1, 1944 to May 1, 1944, the SC-705 was on patrol duty in Green land waters, mostly in Patrol Area No. 3, in Areuk Fjord, Greenland. Other areas ware also patrolled the SC-705 relieving SCs 704, 688, 527, and 689. Between patrols the SC-705 moored at Gronne Dal usually making a stop at Ivigtut en route to her mooring.

    TO BOSTON

    On May 1, 1944, the SC-705 departed Gronne Dal en route Argentia in convoy with USS NORTHLAND [WPG-49], SC-688 and SC-689. Arriving on the 6th she departed on the 9th for Boston in company with three other escorts arriving on the 12th, where she remained for repairs until June 14, 1944, when she departed for Casco Bay, Maine, for training exercises. On the 22nd she was underway for Argentia. Here on July 6th she was damaged slightly by a fire around the galley stack. On the 10th she departed for Gronne Dal arriving on the 14th.

    PATROL DUTY

    The SC-705 remained in Greenland on patrol duty of area No. 3 in Arsuk Fjord until December 8, 1944, when she departed in convoy with two other escorts for Boston, via St. John's, arriving on September 21, 1944.

    TOWING TARGETS

    Remaining at Chelsea Navy Yard Annex until October 10, 1944, on availability the SC-705 departed for Quonset Point, Rhode Island, on October 15, 1944, where she was assigned radar target towing duty. She remained on this duty during the rest of 1944.

    DECOMMISSIONING

    The SC-705 was decommissioned January 22, 1946.


    Additional Resources and Web Sites of Interest
    Patrol Craft Sailors Association
    SC-705 Deck Log Excerpts
    Back To The Main Photo Index Back to the Patrol Craft/Gunboat/Submarine Chaser Ship Index Back to the 110' Submarine Chaser (SC) Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created and maintained by Joseph M. Radigan
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History