Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online:
Submarine Chaser Photo Archive

USCGC Air Jay (WAVR 431)
ex-USS SC-711



Call sign:
Nan - Xray - Charlie - Uncle

ex-USS PC-711


SC-711 served both the U. S. Navy and Coast Guard

SC-497 Class Submarine Chaser:

  • Laid down 8 April 1942 by Dooley's Basin and Drydock Co., Fort Lauderdale, FL
  • Launched 17 October 1942
  • Delivered 2 January 1943 and commissioned USS PC-711
  • Reclassified SC-711 in April 1943
  • Decommissioned 9 October 1945, transferred to the Coast Guard and commissioned USCGC Air Jay (WAVR 431)
  • Acquired in 1953 by A. Frank Amory of Hampton, VA for use as a fishing boat and renamed North Sea
  • Acquired in 1961 by North Sea, Inc. of Phoebus, VA
  • Acquired in November 1968 by the Mar Cin Corp. of Gloucester Point, VA and renamed Captain John
  • Renamed Capt'n Johnie
  • Out of documentation in 1991
  • Fate unknown.

    Specifications:

  • Displacement 94 t.
  • Length 110' 10"
  • Beam 17'
  • Draft 6' 6"
  • Speed 21 kts.
  • Complement 28
  • Armament: One 40mm gun mount, two .50 cal. machine guns, two depth charge projector "Y Guns," and two depth charge tracks
  • Propulsion: Two 1,540bhp General Motors (Electro-Motive Div.) 16-184A diesel engines, two shafts.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    No image of SC-711 is available at this time

    Commanding Officers
    01LTJG Edwin P. Wormington, USNR2 January 1943
    Courtesy Joe Radigan

    There is no DANFS history available for SC-711
    Additional Resources and Web Sites of Interest
    Patrol Craft Sailors Association
    Back To The Main Photo Index Back to the Patrol Craft/Gunboat/Submarine Chaser Ship Index Back to the 110' Submarine Chaser (SC) Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created and maintained by Joseph M. Radigan
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History