Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online:
Submarine Chaser Photo Archive


Call sign:
Nan - Xray - Peter - Oboe

SC-497 Class Submarine Chaser:

  • Laid down 20 August 1942 by the Robinson Marine Construction Co., Benton Harbor, MI
  • Launched 26 August 1943
  • Commissioned USS SC-759, 8 October 1943
  • Decommissioned in June 1946
  • Transferred to the Maritime Commission 21 January 1948, sold to Fred J. Began of Portland, OR and named Tualatin
  • Sold in 1949 to Roland R. Hurlburt of Hoonah, AK and converted to a tug
  • Sold in 1955 to Bernard F. Thompson of Hoonah
  • Sold in 1977 to Larry J. Wakefield of Seattle, WA and converted to a fish tug
  • Acquired in 1986 by Dwight Gilliam of La Conner, WA
  • Out of documentation in 1993
  • Fate unknown.


  • Displacement 95 t.
  • Length 110' 10"
  • Beam 17'
  • Draft 6' 6"
  • Speed 21 kts.
  • Complement 28Armament: One 40mm mount, one/two twin mount .50 cal. machine guns, two/three depth charge projectors "K Guns," 14 depth charges with six single release chocks, two sets Mk 20 Mousetrap rails with four
    7.2 projectiles
  • Propulsion: Two 1,540bhp General Motors (Electro-Motive Div.) 16-184A diesel engines, two shafts.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    SC-759 68k . Historical Collections of the Great Lakes

    Commanding Officers
    01LTJG Edwin L. Skinner, USN8 October 1943
    02LTJG D. J. Crimmins, USNR1945
    Courtesy of Joe Radigan

    There is no DANFS history available for SC-759
    Additional Resources and Web Sites of Interest
    Patrol Craft Sailors Association
    Back To The Main Photo Index Back To the Patrol Craft/Gunboat/Submarine Chaser Ship Type Index Back to the 110' Submarine Chaser (SC) Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page is created and maintained by Gary P. Priolo
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History