Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online:
Submarine Chaser Photo Archive


Call sign:
Nan - Charlie - Item - Item


Conroe call sign:
Able - Zebra - Easy - Victor

SC-497 Class Submarine Chaser:

  • Laid down 18 June 1942 by Simms Brothers, Dorchester, MA
  • Contract price $139,000
  • Launched 9 December 1942
  • Commissioned PC-980, 5 February 1943 and started up main engines
  • Conducted dock trials 9 February 1943
  • Conducted official trials 10 February 1943
  • Accepted 12 February 1943
  • Reclassified SC-980 in April 1943
  • Decommissioned 1 January 1946
  • Struck from the Naval Register 7 February 1946
  • Transferred to the Maritime Commission 13 September 1946
  • Acquired in 1947 by the Humble Oil and Refining Co. of Houston, TX and named Conroe
  • Acquired in 1960 by Harwilco, Inc. of Miami Springs, FL for use as a freighter
  • Out of documentation in 1963
  • Fate unknown.


  • Displacement 148 t.
  • Length 110' 10"
  • Beam 17'
  • Draft 6' 6"
  • Speed 15.6 kts.
  • Complement 28
  • Armament: One 40mm mount, two .50 cal. machine guns, two depth charge projector "K Guns," and two depth charge tracks
  • Propulsion: Two 880bhp General Motors 8-268A diesel engines, Snow and Knobstedt single reduction gear, two shafts.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    No image of SC-980 is available at this time

    Commanding Officers
    01LTJG Robert M. Catherine, Jr., USNR5 February 1943
    Courtesy Joe Radigan

    There is no DANFS history available for SC-980
    Additional Resources and Web Sites of Interest
    Patrol Craft Sailors Association
    Back To The Main Photo Index Back to the Patrol Craft/Gunboat/Submarine Chaser Ship Index Back to the 110' Submarine Chaser (SC) Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created and maintained by Joseph M. Radigan
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History