Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online:
Submarine Chaser Photo Archive


Call sign:
Nan - Charlie - Item - Zebra


SC-497 Class Submarine Chaser:

  • Laid down 14 May 1942 by the Vinyard Shipbuilding Co., Milford, Delaware
  • Launched 5 November 1942
  • Commissioned PC-983, 16 January 1943 under the command of LTJG Ralph Orews, USNR
  • Reclassified SC-983 in April 1943
  • Struck from the Naval Register 3 January 1946
  • Transferred to the Maritime Commission 11 April 1947
  • Acquired in 1948 by Harold M. Bludworth of Houston, TX and named S.S.C. II
  • Acquired in 1950 by the Sea Service Co., Inc. of Houston
  • Acquired in 1951 by the Arrow Shrimp Co. of Port Isabel, TX for use as a fishing boat and renamed Arrow
  • Burned 11 November 1955 in the Gulf of Mexico about 50 miles northeast of Aransas Pass, TX.


  • Displacement 148 t.
  • Length 110' 10"
  • Beam 17'
  • Draft 6' 6"
  • Speed 15.6 kts.
  • Complement 28
  • Armament: One 40mm mount, two .50 cal. machine guns, two depth charge projector "K Guns," and two depth charge tracks
  • Propulsion: Two 880bhp General Motors 8-268A diesel engines, Snow and Knobstedt single reduction gear, two shafts.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    SC-983 118k Crew photo
    The Commanding Officer, LT(Jg) Edwin Davies Harrison, standing in the foreground, to the immediate left and slightly in front of the Chief Petty Officer
    Robert W. Harrison

    There is no DANFS history available for SC-983
    Additional Resources and Web Sites of Interest
    Patrol Craft Sailors Association
    Back To The Main Photo Index Back to the Patrol Craft/Gunboat/Submarine Chaser Ship Index Back to the 110' Submarine Chaser (SC) Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created by Gary P. Priolo and maintained by Joe Radigan
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History