Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online:
Submarine Chaser Photo Archive


Call sign:
Nan - Tare - King - Charlie


SC-497 Class Submarine Chaser:

  • Laid down 7 October 1942 as PC-1327 by the Delaware Bay Shipbuilding Co., Leesburg, NJ
  • Launched 24 March 1943
  • Commissioned 4 June 1943
  • Reclassified SC-1327 in April 1943
  • Commissioned 4 June 1943
  • Visited Auckland, New Zealand 24 May - 4 June 1945
  • Decommissioned 6 December 1945
  • Struck from the Naval Register 3 January 1946
  • Transferred to the Maritime Commission 27 January 1947
  • Acquiredin 1948 by Merlin, Inc. of Newport, NC for use as a fishing boat and named Merlin
  • Acquired in 1958 by John Santos Carinhas of Patterson, LA
  • Scrapped in 1960.


  • Displacement 148 t.
  • Length 110' 10"
  • Beam 17'
  • Draft 6' 6"
  • Speed 15.6 kts.
  • Complement 28
  • Armament: One 40mm mount, two .50 cal. machine guns, two depth charge projector "K Guns," two sets Mk 20 Mousetrap rails with four 7.2 projectiles and two depth charge tracks
  • Propulsion: Two 880bhp General Motors 8-268A diesel engines, Snow and Knobstedt single reduction gear, two shafts.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    SC-1327 241k . Andrew F. Quinn
    SC-1327 179k
    SC-1327 154k
    SC-1327 161k Andy Quinn, second from right, standing.

    Commanding Officers
    01LT William E. Biggerstaff, USNR4 June 1943
    02ENS J. V. Tomai, Jr., USNR1945
    Courtesy Joe Radigan

    There is no DANFS history available for SC-1327
    Additional Resources and Web Sites of Interest
    Patrol Craft Sailors Association
    Back To The Main Photo Index Back To the Patrol Craft/Gunboat/Submarine Chaser Ship Index Back to the 110' Submarine Chaser (SC) Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created and maintained by Joseph M. Radigan
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History