Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online:
Submarine Chaser Photo Archive

SC-1492



Call sign:
Nan - Uncle - Peter - William


SC-1492 served the Navies of the United States and the Soviet Union.

SC-497 Class Submarine Chaser:

  • Laid down 23 June 1943 by the Simms Brothers, Dorchester, MA
  • Launched 8 December 1943
  • Commissioned USS SC-1492, 22 April 1944
  • Transferred to the Soviet Union 7 June 1944 and reclassified BO-218
  • Plasced in service 5 July 1944
  • Arrived in Polyarny, Murmansk 25 August 1944 and became a member of the Northern Fleet
  • Participated in the Petsamo-Kirkenes Offensive in October 1944
  • Scuttled 25 June 1956 off the Kildinskiy Reach by agreement with the United States.

    Specifications:

  • Displacement 95 t.
  • Length 110' 10"
  • Beam 17'
  • Draft 6' 6"
  • Speed 21 kts.
  • Complement 28
  • Armament: One 40mm gun mount, three 20mm mounts, one/two twin .50 cal. machine guns, two/three depth charge projector "K Guns", 14 depth charges with six single release chocks and
    two sets Mk20 Mousetrap rails with four 7.2 projectiles
  • Propulsion: Two 880bhp General Motors 8-268A diesel engines, Snow and Knobstedt single reduction gear, two shafts.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    SC-1492 158k Launching Harold G. Simms, son of the builder, William E. Simms and nephew of Eric J. Simms - the Simms brothers.
    SC-1492 72k Miami, FL Bob Goll
    SC-1492 52k
    SC-1492 79k

    There is no DANFS history available for SC-1492.
    Additional Resources and Web Sites of Interest
    Patrol Craft Sailors Association
    Back To The Main Photo Index Back To the Patrol Craft/Gunboat/Submarine Chaser Ship Type Index Back to the 110' Submarine Chaser (SC) Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created and maintained by Joseph M. Radigan
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History