Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online:
Section Patrol Craft Photo Archive

Rutoma (SP 78)


Motorboat:

  • Built in 1910 as Manchonac by the Seabury Co., Morris Heights, NY
  • Renamed Rutoma
  • Acquired by the Navy 18 April 1917
  • Commissioned USS Rutoma (SP 78), 26 April 1917
  • Struck from the Naval Register in late 1919
  • Sold 16 September 1919
  • Remained in mercantile service into the 1930s
  • Fate unknown.

    Specifications:

  • Displacement 29 t.
  • Length 68'
  • Beam 12'
  • Draft 3' 6"
  • Depth of hold 5' 9"
  • Speed 12 kts.
  • Complement: Nine
  • Armament: One 1-pounder and two machine guns.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    SizeImage Description Source
    Rutoma 73k In port during World War I. USS Edith M. III (SP-196) is partially visible at left.
    U.S. Navy photo NH 102168.
    Naval Historical Center
    Rutoma 85k Photographed circa 1917-1918, probably in the vicinity of New York City. She appears to be under tow. Photographed looking over the stern of a small boat, whose transom appears to have been reinforced to mount an outboard motor.
    Donation of Mrs. Juel M. Walker, 1980.
    Naval Historical Center photos NH 103210 and NH 103211
    Robert Hurst
    Rutoma 101k
    Rutoma 98k Tied up astern of the "Cornfield" lightship, [at Cornfield Point Shoal, Long Island Sound, off Knollwood, CT], circa 1917-1918.
    Donation of Mrs. Juel M. Walker, 1980.
    Naval Historical Center photo NH 103212
    .

    Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships: Rutoma was built during 1910 by Seabury Co., Morris Heights, N.Y., as the wooden private boat Manchonac; acquired on 18 April 1917 for United States Navy service as a patrol boat under her second name Rutoma from her owner, Graham T. Thompson of New Haven, Conn.; and commissioned on 26 April 1917, Ens. George D. Atwood, USNRF, in command.

    Rutoma patrolled in the 3d Naval District during 1917 and 1918, operating in Long Island Sound and eastward to New Haven, Conn. Transferred to New York at war's end, Rutoma was rammed and sunk on 21 February 1918 by the tug S.S. John L. Lewis off Pier No.6 in the East River, N.Y. The patrol boat was raised the following day by salvage crews from the salvage vessel Resolute. Rutoma was subsequently sold on 16 September 1919 to Reinhard Hall of Brooklyn, N.Y., remaining on mercantile registers into the 1930's.


    Back To The Main Photo Index Back to the Patrol Craft/Gunboat/Submarine Chaser Ship Index Back to the Section Patrol Craft (SP) Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created and maintained by Joseph M. Radigan
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History