Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online:
Section Patrol Craft Photo Archive

USCGC AB-14
ex-USCGC Tulare
ex-USS Sentinel (SP 180)

Sentinel served both the U. S. Navy and Coast Guard.

Motorboat:

  • Built in 1917 by the Pacific Shipyards and Ways Co., Alameda, CA
  • Acquired by the Navy 9 August 1917 and commissioned USS Sentinel (SP 180) the same day
  • Decommissioned 20 March 1919
  • Transferred to the Coast Guard 18 September 1919 and commissioned USCGC Tulare
  • Renamed AB-14, 6 November 1923
  • Remained in service until 1934
  • Fate unknown.

    Specifications:

  • Displacement 15 t.
  • Length 64'
  • Beam 15' 8"
  • Draft 5' 1"
  • Speed 9.75 kts.
  • Complement: Eight
    1922 - Six
  • Armament: Two 1-pounders and one machine gun
  • Propulsion: One gasoline engine, one shaft.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    Sentinel 97k Off the Mare Island Navy Yard, California, 21 August 1917.
    U.S. Navy photo NH 101749
    Naval Historical Center

    Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships: The first Sentinel (SP-180), a motor boat built in 1917 by Pacific Shipyards and Ways Co., Alameda Calif., was purchased by the Navy from W. G. Tibbetts on 9 August 1917 and commissioned the same day, Ens. C. A. Lundquist USNRF, in command.

    Sentinel operated in San Francisco Bay during and after World War I, patrolling the harbor entrance and assisting small vessels. She was decommissioned on 20 March 1919, transferred to the Coast Guard on 18 September 1919 and renamed Tulare. She was again renamed AB-14 on 6 November 1923, and remained in service until 1934.


    Back To The Main Photo Index Back to the Patrol Craft/Gunboat/Submarine Chaser Ship Index Back to the Section Patrol Craft (SP) Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created and maintained by Joseph M. Radigan
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History