Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online:
Section Patrol Craft Photo Archive

Lewes (SP 383)
ex-City of Lewes (SP 383)



Call sign:
George - Sail - Nan - Boy

Trawler/Minesweeper:

  • Built in 1912 by W. G. Abbott, Milford, DE
  • Acquired by the Navy in May 1917
  • Commissioned USS City of Lewes (SP-383), 12 May 1917
  • Renamed Lewes 28 July 1917
  • Decommissioned 8 September 1919 and sold
  • Fate unknown.

    Specifications:

  • Displacement 245 t.
  • Length 150'
  • Beam 24'
  • Draft 9'
  • Speed 12 kts.
  • Complement 36
  • Armament: One 3" mount
  • Propulsion: Steam, one shaft.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    Anderton 46k Off Lorient, France, in 1918. Three of these ships are identified as USS Anderton (SP-530), USS Lewes (SP-383) and USS James (SP-429).
    U.S. Navy photo NH 44900
    Naval Historical Center
    Anderton 79k Moored at Lorient, France, in 1918. These ships are identified as USS Anderton (SP-530), USS Lewes (SP-383) and USS James (SP-429). Anderton is the middle ship, with her smokestack immediately behind her pilothouse.
    U.S. Navy photo NH 44901
    Lewes 288k Off Lorient, France, circa 1918. She has the numeral "9" painted on her bow. The French Navy machinist school is visible in the background, beyond the ship's bow
    Donation of Dr. Mark Kulikowski, 2011
    Naval History and Heritage Command photo NH 107334
    Robert Hurst
    Lewes 98k During a review of U.S. and French ships in Lorient harbor, France, 29 November 1918. The ship at left is USS Hubbard (SP-416). USS Anderton (SP-530) is in the center, with her smokestack immediately behind her pilothouse. Probably also present are Lewes and USS James (SP-429).
    U.S. Navy photo NH 53596
    Naval Historical Center

    Commanding Officers
    01LTJG Joseph Stanley Davis, USNRF12 May 1917
    02LTJG Godwin Frederick Werlin, USNRF1918
    Courtesy Joe Radigan

    Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships: City of Lewes (No. 383) was built by W. G. Abbott, Milford, Del.; purchased by the Navy 18 May 1917; and commissioned 12 May 1917, Lieutenant J. S. Davis, USNRF,
    in command.

    City of Lewes sailed from Philadelphia 14 August 1917 and reached Brest, France, 18 September 1917. Following voyage repairs, she was assigned to patrol and escort duty. City of Lewes was decommissioned at Brest 8 September 1919 and sold abroad.


    Back To The Main Photo Index Back To the Patrol Craft/Gunboat/Submarine Chaser Ship Index Back to the Section Patrol Craft (SP) Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created and maintained by Joseph M. Radigan
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History