Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online:
Section Patrol Craft Photo Archive

Kemah (SP 415)



Call sign:
George - Sail - Jig - Cast

Motor Yacht:

  • Built in 1917 by the Luders Marine Construction Co., Stamford, CT
  • Acquired by the Navy 7 October 1917
  • Commissioned 16 July 1918
  • Decommissioned 18 September 1919
  • Sold 22 September 1920 to R. T. Robinson of San Diego, CA for $19,050
  • Fate unknown.

    Specifications:

  • Displacement 300 t.
  • Length 146'
  • Beam 21'
  • Draft 9'
  • Speed 13 kts.
  • Complement 51
  • Armament: Two 3" mounts
  • Propulsion: Diesel engines, two shafts.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    Kemah 88k In port, 1918.
    U.S. Navy photo NH 89792
    Naval Historical Center
    Kemah 84k Photographed circa 1918-1919.
    U.S. Navy photo NH 52041

    Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships: Kemah (SP-415), a motor yacht, was built by Luders Marine Construction Co., Stamford, Conn., in 1917 to 1918 and acquired while under construction from her owner, F. E. Lewis II, of New York City, 7 October 1917. Brought to the Navy Yard, New York in April 1918, Kemah commissioned 16 July, Lt. L. L. Rand, USNRF, in command.

    Originally assigned to the 6th Naval District at Charleston, she was transferred upon commissioning to the 3d Naval District, New York, for the period of her service. Restricted to protected waters, Kemah served as a guard ship on coastal waters of New York Harbor. She continued her patrol duty until 3 September 1919 when she was withdrawn from active duty. Kemah decommissioned 18 September and was sold 22 September 1920 to R. T. Robinson of San Diego.


    Back To The Main Photo Index Back to the Patrol Craft/Gunboat/Submarine Chaser Ship Index Back to the Section Patrol Craft (SP) Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created and maintained by Joseph M. Radigan
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History