Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.
Section Patrol Craft Photo Archive
Knickerbocker (SP 479)
Tug: Built in 1873 by Naefie and Levy, Philadelphia, PA; Purchased by the Navy, 13 September 1917; Commissioned 22 September 1917; Struck from the Navy list 14 March 1918; Reinstated on the Navy list in April 1918; Again struck from the Navy list 15 February 1919; Decommissioned, 18 February 1919 and sold the same day . Fate unknown.
Specifications: Displacement 123 t.; Length 110'; Beam 23' 11"; Draft 11'; Speed 9 kts.; Armament, unknown; Complement, unknown; Propulsion steam.
|Click on thumbnail
for full size image
||In port, prior to her World War I Navy service
Naval Historical Center photo NH 99504
||Photographed about the time she was taken over by the Navy.
U.S. Navy photo NH 101992
|Naval Historical Center
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships: Knickerbocker (SP-479), a steam tug, was built by Neafie & Levy, Philadelphia, Pa., in 1873 and rebuilt in 1904. She was leased by her owner, Cornell Steamboat Co., New York City, 2 May 1917 and enrolled in the Navy Coast Defense Reserve. Purchased 13 September, Knickerbocker commissioned 22 September at New York, Boatswain M. J. Lounsbery, USNRF, in command.Assigned to the 3d Naval District, Knickerbocker operated on the Hudson River and New York Harbor as a minesweeper, tug, and dispatch ship. Though ordered struck from the Navy List 14 March 1918, the scarcity of tugs resulted in her retention for harbor duty. On 30 December she was assigned to the training and guard ship Amphitrite and served as a dispatch ship. Knickerbocker decommissioned 18 February 1919 and was sold the same day to Francis J. McDonald of Ardmore, Pa.
This page created and maintained by Joseph M. Radigan|
© 2005 Joseph M. Radigan © 1996 - 2005 NavSource Naval History. All Rights Reserved.