|Click on thumbnail
for full size image
|77k||Seen here as Grayling||Tom Nye|
|01||Boatswain Milton Chapman, USNRF||1918|
Acquired by the Navy for inshore patrol duties, Wiliams '18—assigned the classification SP-498—was commissioned at New York City on 16 March 1918, Boatswain M. T. Moran, USNRF, in command. During the vessel's "unofficial trial trip" on 18 March, the patrol craft suffered a broken propeller shaft and was towed to the Philadelphia Marine Basin for repairs. One month later, while being taken in tow by Aramis (SP-418), Wiliams '18 was jammed between Aramis and the dock, suffering damage again.
Apparently still without propulsion, Wiliams '18 was towed to an offshore mooring and used for a month as a floating classroom by groups of hydrophone trainees, or "listeners." At the end of each day, she was towed back to port. Drydocked in May and apparently restored to active duty (instead of being towed to her offshore duty station) with a repaired shaft, Wiliams '18 made a trial trip on 14 May.
Ten days later, misfortune again reared its head. Wiliams '18' propeller struck the bottom while off Sandy Hook and was damaged. After repairs soon thereafter, the motor patrol boat trained "listeners" using "listening tubes" for the remainder of the spring and summer of 1918. During this time, she suffered slight damage in collision with the tug Relief on 27 September.
At 1045 on 16 October, Wiliams '18 speedily got underway to reach the area where the British steamer Port Phillip was sinking. She arrived and lay to off the ship. There is no indication in the patrol craft's log as to providing assistance for Port Phillip, but we can assume that she aided the distressed steamer and its crew.
On 17 October, all listening gear was removed and stored; and the ship was drydocked for repairs at the New York Navy Yard. She apparently remained at the yard into December, after the armistice which ended World War I. All armament, ammunition, and gear were removed during the early part of December, 1918. Wiliams '18 then sailed to Shady Side, N.J., on 18 December 1918, where she was simultaneously decommissioned and returned to her owner. She was apparently struck from the Navy list on the same day.
|Back To The Main Photo Index||Back to the Patrol Craft/Gunboat/Submarine Chaser Ship Index||Back to the Section Patrol Craft (SP) Photo Index|
|Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster|
This page created and maintained by Joseph M. Radigan|