Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online:
Section Patrol Craft Photo Archive

Suzanne (SP 510)


Yacht:

  • Built in 1908 as Esperanga by George Lawley and Sons, Neponset, MA for Frederick C. Fletcher of Boston, MA
  • Renamed Cristina in 1913
  • Renamed Jorosa in 1915
  • Renamed Suzanne in 1917
  • Acquired by the Navy 18 May 1917 and commissioned USS Suzanne (SP 510) the same day, under the command of ENS Samuel Wetherill, USNRF
  • Struck from the Navy list 28 December 1918 and returned to her owner
  • Renamed Christina in 1921
  • Sold in 1938 to J. P. Bushong of Sault Ste. Marie, MI
  • Bought and sold by F. M. Kirby of Wilkes-Barre, PA
  • Renamed Old Horse Eye in 1954 and Jo Ho So IV in 1955
  • Caught fire and sank 15 June 1968 in the Patomac River off Timbers, MD
  • Raised in July 1968 and towed to St. Inigoes Creek, MD and beached as a breakwater, wher she remains today off Cross Manor, an historic estate owned by Ted Koppel, the television newscaster.

    Specifications:

  • Displacement 123 t.
  • Length 110'
  • Beam 17' 6"
  • Draft 3' 4"
  • Speed 13 kts.
  • Complement 18
  • Armament: One 3-pounder, one 1-pounder and one machine gun
  • Propulsion: Two 125ihp 4-stroke 6-cylinder Standard gasoline engines, two shafts.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    Suzanne 172k 28 December 1918
    Naval History and Heritage Command photo NH 42433
    Mike Green

    View the Suzanne (SP 510)
    DANFS history entry located on the Naval Historical Center website
    Back To The Main Photo Index Back To the Patrol Craft/Gunboat/Submarine Chaser Ship Index Back to the Section Patrol Craft (SP) Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created and maintained by Joseph M. Radigan
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History