Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.
NavSource Online: Civilian Vessel Photo Archive
ex-Wachusetts (SP 548)
George - Sail - Have - Boy
Motorboat:Laid down in 1916 as W.C.T.U. by W. A. and S. D. Moss, Friendship, MERenamed Wachusetts in 1917Acquired by the Navy 26 April 1917 and commissioned Wachusetts (SP 548)Renamed SP-548 in 1918Struck from the Naval list 25 October 1919 and transferred to the Bureau of FisheriesFate unknown.
Specifications:Displacement 65 t.Length 101'Beam 16' 6"Draft 7'Speed 12.1 kts.Complement: SixArmament: One 3-pounder and two .30 cal. machine gunsPropulsion: One 120hp Nelsco diesel engine,one shaft.
|Click on thumbnail|
for full size image
||Moored inboard with two unidentified smaller Section Patrol boats, circa 1918
Naval History and Heritage Command photo NH 89783
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships History: W.C.T.U. was built in 1916 by W. A. and S. D. Moss of Friendship, Maine. Acquired by the Navy in the spring of 1917 from the Howard Lumber Co. of Boston, Mass., the craft-renamed Wachusetts by that time was taken over on 26 April 1917 and designated SP-548. As of 1 February 1918, Wachusetts was operating out of the section base at Boothbay, Maine, probably on local patrol duties, under the aegis of Commandant, 1st Naval District. Her commanding officer as of that time was Ens. J. B. Eckroll, USNRF.
The ship's name was apparently dropped somewhat later to avoid confusion with Wachusett (Id. No. 1840), and the boat became simply SP-548. Little is known of her activities because her deck logs have been lost. Further confusion exists as to her ultimate fate. She was struck from the Navy list on 25 October 1919 and reportedly transferred to the Bureau of Fisheries simultaneously. However, subsequent lists of vessels operated by that agency fail to account for her.
This page created and maintained by Joseph M. Radigan|