Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.
Section Patrol Craft Photo Archive
Long Island (SP 572)
George - Sail - Have - Cast
Trawler/Minesweeper:Built in 1912 at Rockland, MaineAcquired by the Navy 18 April 1917Commissioned USS Long Island (SP 572), 8 May 1917After the end of hostilities, Long Island was assigned duty as a temporary
Lightship off Charleston, SCDecommissioned 13 September 1919Sold 1 December 1919Fate unknown.
Specifications:Displacement 167 t.Length 164' 4"Beam 24' 1"Draft 6' 9"Speed 11.3 kts.Complement 23Armament: One 3-pounderPropulsion: Steam, one shaft.
|Click On Image
For Full Size Image
||Probably photographed while being altered for Navy service, circa May 1917. The location appears to be the Boston Navy Yard.
U.S. Navy photo NH 102009
|Naval Historical Center
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships History: Long Island, a steam trawler, was built in 1912 by Cobb & Butler, Rockland, Maine; purchased by the Navy 18 April 1917 from her owner, George Morrill, Portland Maine; taken over 1 May 1917; enrolled in the Naomi Coast Defense Reserve 2 May 1917; and commissioned 8 May 1917 at Boston, Ens. Stephen Black, USNRF, in command.Assigned to the 1st Naval District, Long Island throughout the war served out of Boston as harbor patrol ship, minesweeper, and icebreaker. From 30 March until 18 April 1918 she escorted a submarine chaser between Boston and Bermuda. She then sailed to New London, Conn. and Newport, R.I., before returning to Boston 30 April.
Long Island departed Boston 30 January 1919 for Charleston, S.C., where she arrived 5 February. Assigned to the 6th Naval District, she served as a temporary lightship off Charleston until 25 May. Detached from the 6th Naval District 24 June, during the next 2 months she operated along the Atlantic coast from Hampton Roads to Boston. She decommissioned 13 September 1919 and was sold 1 December 1919 to Douglas Co., Inc., Reedville Va.
This page created and maintained by Joseph M. Radigan|