Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online:
Section Patrol Craft Photo Archive

R. W. Wilmot (SP 604)

R. W. Wilmot served the Navies of the United States and France.


  • Built in 1898 as a steam tug by the Globe Iron Works, Cleveland, OH
  • Acquired by the Navy 4 January 1918 from the River and Ocean Towing Co. of Wilmington, DE
  • Placed in service 26 January 1918
  • Transferred to France 4 April 1918
  • Fate unknown.


  • Displacement 569 t.
  • Length 156' 8"
  • Beam 30'
  • Draft 14' 6"
  • Speed 12 kts.
  • Armament: One 3" gun mount, and two machine guns
  • Propulsion: Steam, one shaft
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    R. W. Wilmot 148k Shown in early 1899 lying off Wilmot and Co.'s dock at New Orleans, [LA]. This image was reconstructed from an illustration covering two pages in a bound book. Marine Review, 20 April 1899, page 17ff
    Photo from
    Robert Hurst
    R. W. Wilmot 153 Alongside the Red River Line steamboat Imperial, probably at New Orleans, [LA]. Imperial was built in 1894 to carry cotton and passengers from Shreveport to New Orleans. She was laid up for repairs in February 1911 and then lost. The port of registry of R. W. Wilmot is shown on her stern as "Pittsburg.Pa." As of 1915 she was owned by the Monongahela River Consolidated Coal and Coke Co. of that city
    Photo from

    Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships: R. W. Wilmot, a steam tug built in 1898 by the Globe Iron Works, Cleveland, Ohio, was acquired 4 January 1918 from the River & Ocean Towing Co., Wilmington, Del., and placed in service 26 January 1918, Lt. J. Hansen, USNRF in command.

    Designated for distant service, R. W. Wilmot served with the 5th Squadron, Patrol Force, in the mid-Atlantic-southern New England area until 9 March. On the 17th she steamed east and following her arrival in France, was placed out of service and transferred to that country's government on 4 April 1918.

    Back To The Main Photo Index Back To the Patrol Craft/Gunboat/Submarine Chaser Ship Index Back To The Section Patrol Craft Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created and maintained by Joseph M. Radigan
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History