Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.


NavSource Online:
Section Patrol Craft Photo Archive

Skink (SP 605)


Motorboat:

  • Built in 1917 by George Lawley and Son, Neponset, MA
  • Commissioned 13 June 1917 before being acquired by the Navy on 30 June 1917
  • Decommissioned 22 November 1918
  • Returned to her owner 24 February 1919
  • Fate unknown.

    Specifications:

  • Displacement 10 t.
  • Length 50'
  • Beam 10' 6"
  • Speed 17 kts.
  • Complement: Seven
  • Armament: One machine gun.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    Motorboat Skink
    Skink 121k Probably photographed shortly before she was taken over by the Navy.
    U.S. Navy photos NH 102223 and NH 102224
    Naval Historical Center
    Skink 115k
    USS Skink (SP 605)
    Alacrity 83k Lockwood's Basin, Boston, Massachusetts. View of the basin looking down the pier, taken by Alton M. Blackinton, Boston, circa 1918, showing USS Moosehead (ID 2047) in the center and section patrol boats. USS Alacrity (SP-206) is at the far left. The patrol boats in the left center foreground are (from left to right): USS Kiowa (SP-711); Skink; unidentified; USS Whistler (SP-785); and USS Lynx II (SP-730).
    U.S. Navy photo NH 42147
    Naval Historical Center
    Alacrity 69k Lockwood's Basin, Boston, Massachusetts. Section Patrol boat base at Lockwood's Basin, circa 1918, with USS Moosehead (ID 2047) alongside the pier in the right background. Among the patrol boats present are Skink, in the left foreground, and USS Alacrity (SP-206) behind her. Note sailor sentry at the extreme right.
    Photographed by Alton M. Blackinton, Boston.
    U.S. Navy photo NH 42284
    Whistler 85k In Lockwood's Basin, Boston, Massachusetts, circa 1918, with USS Moosehead (ID 2047) on the left and four patrol boats at right. The latter are (from outboard): USS Kiowa (SP-711), Skink, USS Whistler (SP-784) and USS Lynx II (SP-730).
    Photographed by Alton M. Blackinton, Boston.
    U.S. Navy photo NH 45268
    Skink 128k Lockwood's Basin, Boston, Massachusetts
    View of the basin from on board USS Moosehead (ID 2047), taken by Alton M. Blackinton, Boston, circa 1918, showing the marine railway, Carpenter's Shop and General Headquarters. Four section patrol boats are tied up in the foreground, just beyond Moosehead's bow. They are (from left to right): USS Lynx II (SP-730); USS Whistler (SP-785); unidentified; and Skink
    Naval Historical Center photo NH 42145
    Robert Hurst

    Commanding Officers
    01ENS Charles Stephen Bolster, USNRF12 June 1917 - 29 August 1917
    Courtesy Joe Radigan

    Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships: Skink (SP 605), a motor boat built in 1917 by George Lawley and Son, Neponset, Mass., was acquired by the Navy on 30 June 1917 from Robert D. Longyear, Cambridge, Mass; having already been commissioned on 13 June 1917. She carried out patrol duties in the 1st Naval District until decommissioned on 22 November 1918. Skink was returned to her owner on 24 February 1919.
    Back To The Main Photo Index Back to the Patrol Craft/Gunboat/Submarine Chaser Ship Index Back to the Section Patrol Craft (SP) Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created and maintained by Joseph M. Radigan
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History