Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online:
Section Patrol Craft Photo Archive

USAT S. D. Mason (FS 551)
ex-USLHS Fern
ex-USS Fern (SP 635)
ex-USLHS Fern

Fern served the U. S. Lighthouse Service, the U.S. Navy and the U.S. Army


Lighthouse Tender:

  • The third Fern built in 1915 by Hall Brothers Shipbuilding Co., Winslow, WA for the Light House Service
  • Commissioned USLHS Fern 25 June 1915 and based at Ketchikan, AK
  • Acquired by the Navy 4 September 1917 and placed in service the same day
  • Returned to the Light House Service by Executive Order dated 1 July 1919
  • Acquired by the Army 19 September 1934 and renamed USAT S. D. Mason (FS 551)
  • Sold after World War II and put into service as a freight boat based at Seward, AK
  • Fate unknown.

    Specifications

  • Displacement 317 t.
    1917 - 237 t.
  • Length 112'
    1917 - 98' 5"
  • Beam 22'
  • Draft 10'
    1917 - 8' 6"
  • Complement 12
    1917 - 15
  • Armament: None
    1917 - Two 3-pounders
  • Propulsion: One water tube, oil fired Almy-type boiler; one triple-expansion vertical inverted steam engine; one shaft
    1934 - One 300hp diesel engine.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    Fern 210k USAT S. D. Mason (FS-551), tied up pierside, probably at Seattle
    U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Seattle District photo
    Photo from "U.S. Army Ships and Watercraft of World War II" by David H. Grover
    Robert Hurst

    View the Fern (SP 635)
    DANFS history entry located on the Naval Historical Center website
    View the USLHS Fern history entry located on the Coast Guard Cutter history website
    Back To The Main Photo Index Back to the Patrol Craft/Gunboat/Submarine Chaser Ship Index Back to the Section Patrol Craft (SP) Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created and maintained by Joseph M. Radigan
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History