Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.
Section Patrol Craft Photo Archive
Katie (SP 660)
Motorboat: Built in 1916 by Charles. E. Bush of Crittenden, Va; Acquired by the Navy and commissioned USS Katie (SP 660), 24 April 1917; Acquired by the Navy 18 May 1917; Decommissioned 22 October 1918 and returned to her former owner, the Virginia Fish and Oyster Commission, on the same day. Katie served the Virginia Fish and Oyster Commission for 40 years until 1956 when she was sold as surplus property to the Redmond Lumber Corporation. After serving two more owners, Katie was purchased in 1963 by William C. Poole. Mr. Poole used her as a Coast Guard Auxiliary operational facility and private yacht. In 2000 she was sold to William Stratton who then sold her on 18 September 2001 to Leslie Porter. Leslie did major restoration work to her bottom and ribs and moved her to Belhaven, NC. In October 2003 Katie was purchased by William Patterson and moved back to Richmond, VA. She is structurally very sound, and the plan is to get her cosmetically restored this winter and take her to some of the wooden boat shows on the Chesapeake Bay.
Specifications: Displacement 15 t.; Length 48'; Beam 11' 2"; Draft 3' 8"; Speed 10 kts; Complement four; Armament none; Propulsion gasoline engine, one shaft.
|Click On Image
For Full Size Image
||Hauled out of the water, circa 1917-18.
U.S. Navy photo NH 101957
|Naval Historical Center
||At the Belhaven Marina
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships History: Katie, a motor boat, was built by C. E. Bush of Crittenden, Va., in 1916 and owned by the Virginia Fish and Oyster Commission. Chartered to the Government, she commissioned 24 April 1917 and was taken over by the Navy at Norfolk 18 May, Chief Master-at-Arms J. B. Bush, USNRF, in command. Assigned to the 5th Naval District, Katie operated out of Crittenden, Va., as a shore and section patrol boat. Her patrols extended from Norfolk and the James River to the lower reaches of the Potomac River and Chesapeake Bay. She decommissioned 22 October 1918 and was returned to her former owner the same day.
This page created and maintained by Joseph M. Radigan|
© 2006 Joseph M. Radigan © 1996 - 2006 NavSource Naval History. All Rights Reserved.