Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.


NavSource Online:
Section Patrol Craft Photo Archive

SP-689
ex-Uncas (SP 689)


Motorboat:

  • Built in 1917 as Uncas by the Greenport Basin and Construction Co., Greenport, Long Island, NY
  • Acquired by the Navy 28 June 1917 and commissioned USS Uncas (SP 689) the same day
  • Name dropped in April 1918 and renamed SP-689
  • Returned to her owner Charles L. Poor of New York, NY 31 December 1918
  • Fate unknown.

    Specifications:

  • Displacement 13 t.
  • Length 60'
  • Beam 10'
  • Draft 2'
  • Speed 20 kts.
  • Complement: Eight
  • Armament: One .30 cal. machine gun.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    Uncas
    SP-689 120k Uncas, or a sister of the same design. Ready for launching, at the Greenport Basin & Construction Company, Greenport, Long Island, New York, circa May-June 1917.
    Collection of Robert S. Waters. Donated by Mrs. Alice W. Thomas, 1972.
    U.S. Navy photo NH 98344
    Naval Historical Center
    USS Uncas (SP 689)
    SP-689 92k Uncas, or a sister patrol boat of the same design. In a yacht basin, probably at Greenport, Long Island, New York, circa Summer 1917, with a sailor washing clothing on deck amidships.
    Collection of Robert S. Waters. Donated by Mrs. Alice W. Thomas, 1972.
    U.S. Navy photo NH 98345
    Naval Historical Center
    SP-689 79k Underway just after she was completed, circa June 1917.
    Photographed by Morris Rosenfeld, New York.
    U.S. Navy photo NH 81565
    SP-689 69k Underway just after she was completed, circa June 1917
    The Sailor standing amidships, with hands on hips, is Robert S. Waters
    Photo by Morris Rosenfeld, New York from the collection of Robert S. Waters. Donated by Mrs. Alice W. Thomas, 1972.
    U.S. Navy photo NH 81566
    SP-689 53k Underway just after she was completed, circa June 1917
    Photo by Morris Rosenfeld, New York from the collection of Robert S. Waters. Donated by Mrs. Alice W. Thomas, 1972
    U.S. Navy photo NH 81567
    SP-689 106k Sailors on deck amidships, probably at Greenport, Long Island, New York, circa summer 1917. The craft astern, bearing the number "SP 63", is probably Greenport Hull 278, which later became USS Russ (SP-1151). She is definitely not USS Rivalen (SP-63).
    Collection of Robert S. Waters. Donated by Mrs. Alice W. Thomas, 1972.
    U.S. Navy photo NH 98347
    SP-689 102k Fitting out at the Greenport Basin & Construction Company, Greenport, Long Island, New York, circa May-June 1917. A sister boat of the same design is at left.
    Collection of Robert S. Waters. Donated by Mrs. Alice W. Thomas, 1972.
    U.S. Navy photo NH 98348
    USS SP-689
    SP-689 84k In port, circa 1918.
    U.S. Navy photo NH 81564
    Naval Historical Center
    SP-689 65k USS Riette (SP-107) in an icy harbor, circa 1917-1919. Partially visible, at left, are Uncas and USS Perfecto (SP-86).
    U.S. Navy photo NH 102163

    Commanding Officers
    01ENS Charles Lane Poor, Jr., USNRF28 June 1917 - 5 July 1917
    Courtesy Joe Radigan

    Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships: The third Uncas a wooden-hulled motorboat built in 1917 by the Greenport Basin and Construction Co., of Greenport, Long Island, N.Y.-was acquired by the Navy from Charles L. Poor, of New York City, on 28 June 1917, for use during World War I as a section patrol boat. Assigned to the 3d Naval District and given the designation SP-689, the motorboat-operating without a name since a tug named Uncas was already on the Navy list-conducted local patrol operations out of Section Base No. 6 at Bath Beach, N.Y., for the duration of the war. She was returned to her owner on 31 December 1918.

    Back To The Main Photo Index Back to the Patrol Craft/Gunboat/Submarine Chaser Ship Index Back to the Section Patrol Craft (SP) Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created and maintained by Joseph M. Radigan
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History