Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.


NavSource Online:
Section Patrol Craft Photo Archive

Amagansett (SP 693)


Menhaden Trawler:

  • Built in 1879 at Kennebunk, ME
  • Commissioned Amagansett (SP 693), 17 May 1917 at Norfolk, VA
  • Delivered to the Navy 18 May 1917
  • Decommissioned 12 March 1919, struck from the Navy Register and returned to her owner
  • Fate unknown.

    Specifications:

  • Displacement 645 t.
  • Length 123' 6"
  • Beam 19' 6"
  • Draft 8' 6"
  • Speed 7.8 kts.
  • Complement 26
  • Armament: Two 1-pounders
  • Propulsion: One Locomotive boiler, one verticle simple steam engine, one shaft.
    Click On Image
    For Full Size Image
    Size Image Description Source
    Amagansett 86k In port, circa 1917, possibly after being taken over by the Navy. Note the interesting pattern of her paintwork, perhaps some kind of camouflage. The ferry Castleton is in the background
    U.S. Navy photo NH 100654
    Naval Historical Center
    Amagansett 75k Painted in pattern camouflage, at the Norfolk Navy Yard, Portsmouth, Virginia, in September 1917
    U.S. Navy photo NH 100664
    Naval Historical Center

    Commanding Officers
    01ENS James L. Brooks, USNRF17 May 1917
    02Boatswain Tilden P. Porter, USNRF1918
    Courtesy Joe Radigan

    Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships:

    Amagansett

    A town located on the southern coast of Long Island, N.Y. near its eastern tip.

    Amagansett (SP-693)--a trawler built in 1879 at Kennebunk, Maine--was chartered by the Navy from Mr. E. Benson Dennis of Cape Charles, Va., on 18 May 1917, the day after she was placed in commission at Norfolk, Va., Ens. J. L. Brooks, USNRF probably in command.

    Fitted out for service as a minesweeper, Amagansett spent her entire Navy career based at Norfolk, Va., patrolling the waters of the 5th Naval District. She continued to serve the Navy for four months following the armistice of 11 November 1918. She was placed out of commission on 12 March 1919 and returned to her owner. Her name was struck from the Navy list that same day.


    Back To The Main Photo Index Back to the Section Patrol Craft (SP) Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created and maintained by Joseph M. Radigan
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History