Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online:
Section Patrol Craft Photo Archive

Arcadia (SP 856)


Motorboat:

  • The first Arcadia was built in 1915 by Frank S. Terry, Brooklyn, NY
  • Acquired by the Navy 8 October 1918
  • Struck from the Navy Register 6 November 1918 and returned to her owner
  • Fate unknown.

    Specifications:

  • Displacement 30 t.
  • Length 55'
  • Beam 14' 1"
  • Draft 4' 3"
  • Speed 10.4 kts.
  • Complement 13
  • Armament: One 3-pounder, one 1-pounder and two machine guns
  • Propulsion: One 80hp 6-cylinder Niagara Motor Co. gasoline engine, one shaft.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    Arcadia 106k Photographed prior to World War I
    U.S. Navy photo NH 99310
    Naval Historical Center

    Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships History:

    Arcadia

    Arcadia is a picturesque district of the Peloponnesus in Greece, the traditional home of pastoral poetry; hence any region of ideal rustic simplicity
    and contentment.

    The first Arcadia was a wooden motorboat built in 1915 by Frank S. Terry in Brooklyn, N.Y., that the Navy acquired, by charter, for service as a section patrol boat. Taken over at New York on 8 October 1918, Arcadia was designated SP-856. No logs exist that record the nature of her duty, and there are conflicting dates as to her disposition. One source states the Arcadia was turned over to her owner and stricken from the Navy list on 6 November 1918, while another indicates that a lump sum for the charter of the craft had been determined on 3 February 1919 and that the boat had been authorized for return to her owner.


    Back to the Main Photo Index Back to the Patrol Craft/Gunboat/Submarine Chaser Ship Index Back To The Section Patrol Craft Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created and maintained by Joseph M. Radigan
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History