Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online:
Section Patrol Craft Photo Archive

Penobscot (YTB 42)

Call sign:
Nan - Easy - Sugar - Baker


Call sign (1919):
George - Tare - Fox - Love

Harbor Tug:

  • Built in 1904 as Luckenbach No. 5 by Risdon Iron Works, San Francisco, CA
  • Acquired by the Navy 29 August 1917 and placed in service as USS Penobscot (SP 982) the same day
  • Caught fire 5 October 1918 off Villa Franca, Italy, salvaged, one killed and one wounded
  • Reclassified as a Harbor Tug, YT-42 17 July 1920
  • Reclassified as a Large Harbor Tug, YTB-42 in May 1944
  • Placed out of service 29 October 1945 at New York
  • Struck from the Navy list 17 April 1946
  • Transferred to the Maritime Commission for disposal 31 January 1947
  • Fate unknown.


  • Displacement 415 t.
  • Length 122'
  • Beam 24' 6"
  • Draft 11' 2"
  • Speed 11 kts.
  • Complement 38
  • Armament: One 3" mount
  • Propulsion: Two Babcock and Wilcox oil fired boilers, one 1,200shp triple expansion steam engine (15 3/8", 25", 40" x 28"), one shaft.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    Penobscot 95k Seen as YT-42
    Underway circa the later 1930s, probably in New York Harbor area.
    Photograph by Theodore N. Silberstein (better known as Ted Stone).
    Donation of Dr. Mark Kulikowski, 2007.
    Naval Historical Center photo NH 104605
    Robert Hurst

    View the Penobscot (YTB 42)
    DANFS history entry located on the Naval Historical Center web site
    Back To The Main Photo Index Back to the Patrol Craft/Gunboat/Submarine Chaser Index Back to the Section Patrol Craft (SP) Photo Index Back to the Service Craft, Yard and District Craft Index Back to the Harbor Tug (YT) Photo Index Back to the Large Harbor Tug (YTB) Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created and maintained by Joseph M. Radigan
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History