Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online:
Section Patrol Craft Photo Archive

Lucille Ross (SP 1211)


Tug:

  • Built in 1893 by the Brewster Shipbuilding Co., Baltimore, MD
  • Acquired by the Navy 18 April 1917
  • Commissioned 24 April 1917
  • Struck from the Navy Register 3 June 1919 and returned to her owner
  • Fate unknown.

    Specifications:

  • Displacement 22 t.
  • Length 71' 7"
  • Beam 15' 5"
  • Draft 8'
  • Speed 10 kts.
  • Complement: Nine
  • Propulsion: One hundred horsepower steam engine.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    Lucille Ross 107k Photographed circa 1917-19.
    U.S. Navy photo NH 101799
    Naval Historical Center

    Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships: Lucille Ross, a wooden steam tug, was built in 1893 by Brewster Shipbuilding Co., Baltimore, Md.; acquired by the Navy under charter 17 April 1917 from her owner, Richmond Cedar Works, Richmond, Va.; taken over 18 April 1917; and commissioned 24 April 1917 at Norfolk, Ens. William Partridge, USNRF, in command.

    Assigned to the 5th Naval DIstrict, Lucille Ross was enrolled in the Naval Coast Defense Reserve 20 August 1917. Operating out of Norfolk throughout World War I, she served as a shore and harbor patrol boat, assisted during customs inspections, sealed ships radios, and performed occasional towing services. In addition she steamed Chesapeake Bay and the Atlantic while carrying supplies to coastal lighthouse ships. During September and October 1918 she also provided towing service for the Army Transport Service. She was returned to her owner 3 June 1919.


    Back to the Main Photo Index Back to the Patrol Craft/Gunboat/Submarine Chaser Ship Index Back to the Section Patrol Craft (SP) Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created and maintained by Joseph M. Radigan
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History