Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online:
Section Patrol Craft Photo Archive

Nahant (SP 1250)

Harbor Tug:

  • The second Nahant was built in 1913 as John F. Harlan by John H. Dialogue, Camden, NJ
  • Sold to E.F. Luckenbach of New York, NY and renamed Luckenbach No. 4
  • Acquired by the Navy 1 December 1917
  • Commissioned USS Nahant (SP 1250), 12 December 1917
  • Decommissioned in 1920
  • Transferred to the City of New York Police Department and renamed Service No. 2 and John F. Harlan
  • Returned to U.S. Navy custody in 1928
  • Struck from the Naval Register 27 September 1928
  • Sold 24 December 1928 to Joseph O'Boyle of New York
  • Enrolled under the Gotham Marine Corp. of New York, renamed Gotham and managed by the Nicholson-Universal Steamship Co. of Detroit, MI
  • Sold in 1940 to the Lakehead Transportation Co., Ltd. of Fort William, Ontario, Canada
  • Sold in 1942 to Great Lakes Lumber and Shipping, Ltd. of Fort William and renamed W. E. Hunt
  • Renamed Thomas J. Scully
  • Renamed Good Fortune in 1961
  • Sold in 1961 to Diesel Sales and Service (Burlington), Ltd. of Burlington, Ontario, Canada
  • Sold in 1962 to Harold P. Wright of Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
  • Scrapped in 1962 by the Steel Co. of Canada, Ltd., Hamilton.


  • Displacement 405 t.
  • Length 134' 7"
  • Beam 26'
  • Draft 14' 7"
  • Speed 13 kts.
  • Complement 38
  • Armament: One 3"/50 mount and two machine guns
  • Propulsion: One single ended boiler, one 950hp vertical triple expansion steam engine, one shaft.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    USS Nahant (SP 1250)
    Nahant 95k Photographed circa 1917
    U.S. Navy photo NH 102046
    Original photo: Naval Historical Center
    Replacement photo: Robert Hurst
    W. E. Hunt
    Nahant 92k Historical Collections of the Great Lakes

    Commanding Officers
    01ENS Carlton S. Westcott, USNRF1918
    02LTJG Carl A. Peterson, USNRF1919
    Courtesy Joe Radigan

    Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships: Nahant, a harbor tug built in 1913 by John H. Dialogue, Camden, N.J., as Luckenbach No. 4 was acquired by the Navy from Luckenbach Steamship Co., Inc., New York City 1 December 1917 and commissioned 12 December 1917.

    Operating in the 3rd Naval District, Nahant performed towing tasks in New York Harbor during her Naval career. Decommissioning early in 1920, Nahant was transferred to the City of New York and served the Police Department as Service No. 2 and as John F. Harlan. Returned to the Navy in 1928, Nahant was struck from the Naval Register 27 September 1928 and sold to Joseph O'Boyle of New York City 24 December 1928.

    Back To The Main Photo Index Back to the Section Patrol Craft (SP) Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created by Joseph M. Radigan and maintained by David Wright
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History