Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.
Section Patrol Craft Photo Archive
Howick Hall (ID 1303)
Civilian call sign (1919):
Love - Dog - Queen - Fox
Howick Hall served both the U. S. Army and the Navy.
Freighter:Built in 1910 by William Hamilton Co., Port Glasgow, Scotland for C. G. Dunn of Liverpool, EnglandLaunched 1 October 1910Sold in 1914 to United States Steel Products of New YorkSold in 1915 to the Isthmain LineAcquired by the Army in September 1917Acquired by the Navy 24 August 1918 at Baltimore, MD and commissioned the same dayDecommissioned 13 March 1919 at Baltimore and returned to her owners the same dayRenamed Doverden in 1929Sold in 1930 to the Exeter Shipping Co. of London, EnglandSold in 1931 to the McAllum Steamship Co. of LondonSold in 1932 to the Lambert Brothers of LondonSold in 1935 to H. Constant of LondonSold for scrap in 1935 but bought by Italian owners Ditta Luigi Pittaluga Vapori of Genoa and renamed IrcaniaSold in 1937 to the S.A. Cooperativa di Nav Garibaldi of Genoa and used as a supply ship in the Abyssinian warAcquired by the Maritime Commission 24 June 1941 at Jacksonville, FL and renamed RacelandTransferred 31 December 1941 to the South Atlantic LineBombed and sunk south of Bear Island, 28 March 1942 by German bombers at position 72° 40' N., 20° 20' E., while member of Convoy PQ-13 en route from Boston, MA via Reykjavik, Iceland for Murmansk, Soviet Union.Two of four lifeboats launched lost in heavy seas. Remaining two finally reached the coast of Norway, after constant rowing, with 22 men dead from the cold.
Specifications:Displacement 8,097 t.Length 413'Beam 51' 6"Draft 25' 11"Speed 10 kts.Complement 91Propulsion: Two 1,150ihp triple expansion steam engines manufactured by David Rowan and Co. of Glasgow, Scotland, two shafts.
|Click on thumbnail
for full size image
||Clyde Built Ships
||In New York harbor, prior to World War I.
U.S. Navy photo NH 96308
|Naval Historical Center
||Photographed circa 1917.
Naval Historical Center photo NH 105600
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships: Howick Hall was built by William Hamilton Co., Port Glasgow, Scotland, in 1910. Acquired from her owners, the U.S. Steel Products Co., she commissioned at Baltimore on 24 August 1918, Lt. Comdr. Gust E. Jonsson in command.
After loading cargo at Baltimore, Howick Hall joined a convoy at New York and from there sailed to St. Nazaire,France, reaching that port on 30 September. She discharged cargo and on 31 October was back at Baltimore. Her second transatlantic voyage began at Newport News, where she loaded cargo for La Verdun Roads, France, on 25 December. From there Howick Hall went to Bassens for fuel, and on 3 February 1919, sailed for the States. However, a case of spinal meningitis in the crew necessitated her stopping at Bermuda on 21 February.
Ship and crew were placed in quarantine and denied communication with the island until they sailed for Baltimore on 25 February. Howick Hall arrived at Baltimore via Newport News on 5 March and decommissioned there 13 March 1919.
She was returned to her former owners the same day.
This page created and maintained by Joseph M. Radigan|
© 2007 Joseph M. Radigan © 1996 - 2007 NavSource Naval History. All Rights Reserved.