Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online:
Section Patrol Craft Photo Archive

Resolute (SP 1309)



Civilian call sign (1919):
Love - George - Dog - Pup

Salvage Tug::

  • Built in 1916 as the Sarah E. McWilliams by the Great Lakes Engineering Co., Ashtabula, OH for the Merritt and Chapman Derrick and Wrecking Co. of New York, NY
  • Acquired by the Navy 8 August 1918
  • Commissioned USS Resolute (SP 1309), 10 September 1918
  • Decommissioned 15 May 1919 and sold to her former owner
  • Acquired by the Merritt-Chapman and Scott Corp. of New York in 1934
  • Scrapped in 1955.

    Specifications:

  • Displacement 453 t.
  • Length 135'
  • Beam 30'
  • Draft 14' 6";
  • Speed 12 kts.
  • Complement 55
  • Armament: None
  • Propulsion: One 750ihp steam engine, one shaft.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    Resolute 102k . Historical Collections of the Great Lakes
    Sialia 167k c. 1929
    Salvage vessel Resolute keeping Edsel Ford's yacht Sialia afloat at the Atlantic Works, East Boston, after she was nearly wrecked on the Hens and Chickens Reef. The salvage ship freed the yacht from the reef, towed her to the yard, and pumped her out
    Photographed by Leslie Jones, 1929, courtesy of the Boston Public Library, Leslie Jones Collection from Shipscribe.com
    Robert Hurst

    Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships History: The third Resolute, a wooden salvage tug, was built during 1916 at Great Lakes Engineering Co., Ashtabula, Ohio, as S.S. Sarah E. McWilliams purchased 8 August 1918 for the U.S. Navy from her owner, Merritt & Chapman Co. of New York; and commissioned 10 September 1918, Lt. (jg.) William E. Marcyes, USNRF, in command.

    Resolute was based at Central District Salvage Station, Stapleton, Staten Island, N.Y., throughout her Navy career. She performed local towing duty, took part in several salvage operations, and assisted in patrolling the local anchorages into 1919. Decommissioned 15 May 1919, Resolute was sold to her former owner the same day.

    During early 1942 Resolute again served the Navy, operating for several months under a charter to perform salvage work on the east coast. Resolute remained in mercantile service until scrapped in 1955.


    Back To The Main Photo Index Back To the Patrol Craft/Gunboat/Submarine Chaser Ship Index Back To The Section Patrol Craft Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created and maintained by Joseph M. Radigan
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History