Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online:
Section Patrol Craft Photo Archive

Governor R. M. McLane (SP 1328)


Steamboat:

  • Built in 1884 by Neafie and Levy, Philadelphia, PA
  • Acquired by the Navy in August 1917
  • Commissioned 6 August 1917
  • Returned to her owner 30 November 1918
  • The Governor McLane, as of February 2003 rests partially submerged next to the docks of the Downtown Sailing Center (a community based sailing organization) on the grounds of the Baltimore Museum of Industry,
    Baltimore, MD. The deckhouse is gone, but the deck is still visible.

    Specifications:

  • Displacement 144 t.
  • Length 120'
  • Beam 22'
  • Draft 6' 9"
  • Speed 13 kts.
  • Armament: One 1-pounder.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    Governor R. M. McLane 91k Photographed prior to World War I
    Naval History and Heritage Command photo NH 100246
    Robert Hurst

    Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships: Governor R. M. McLane, a steamboat, was built in 1884 by Neafie and Levy, Philadelphia, Pa., and was acquired by the Navy from the Maryland State Conservation Commission in August 1917. She commissioned 6 August 1917 at Norfolk, Va., Ens. S. Earle, USNRF, in command.

    Governor R. M. McLane was assigned to the 5th Naval District, and served as a patrol craft in Chesapeake Bay. Her cruising grounds included Baltimore Harbor, the Patuxent and Severn Rivers, and Tangier Sound. During November 1918 she was used briefly as a towing boat by Naval Proving Ground, Indian Head, Md., and was returned to her owner 30 November 1918.


    Back To The Main Photo Index Back To the Patrol Craft/Gunboat/Submarine Chaser Ship Index Back to the Section Patrol Craft (SP) Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created and maintained by Joseph M. Radigan
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History