Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.
Section Patrol Craft Photo Archive
Charlton Hall (ID 1359)
Civilian call sign:
Love - Dog - Queen - Boy
Freighter:Built in 1907 by the William Hamilton and Co., Port Glasgow, Scotland for C. G. Dunn and Co. of Liverpool, EnglandLaunched 14 May 1907Sold to the United States Steel Products Co., Inc. of New YorkAcquired by the Navy, 10 June 1918Commissioned USS Charlton Hall (ID 1359), 14 June 1918Decommissioned, 29 January 1919 at Newport News, VATransferred to the Shipping Board 3 February 1919 at New York for return to her ownersSold in 1930 to M. Kulukundis of Syra, Greece and renamed AtlantisSold again in 1930 to K. Psychas of Syra and renamed AnastasisScrapped 4 April 1934 at Shanghai, China.
Displacement 11,300 t.
Length 412' 6"
Draft 25' 6"
Speed 11 kts.
Armament: One 6" and one 3"
Propulsion: One 2,200ihp steam engine, one shaft.
|Click on thumbnail
for full size image
||In port, circa 1918.
U.S. Navy photo NH 99971
|Naval Historical Center
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships: Charlton Hall (No. 1359) was built in 1907 by William Hamilton and Co., Port Glasgow, Scotland; transferred from the Shipping Board 10 June 1918, and commissioned 14 June 1918, Lieutenant Commander J. L. Evans USNRF, in command.
Serving with the Naval Overseas Transportation Service in support first of the American Expeditionary Force and later of the Army of Occupation, Charlton Hall made three voyages from New York to ports in France carrying general cargo between 17 June 1918 and 23 December 1918. She was decommissioned at Newport News, VA., 29 January 1919, and returned to the Shipping Board at New York 3 February 1919.
This page created and maintained by Joseph M. Radigan|
© 2005 Joseph M. Radigan © 1996 - 2005 NavSource Naval History. All Rights Reserved.