Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online:
Identification Numbered Vessel Photo Archive

Kerwood (ID 1489)

Civilian call sign (1919):
Love - Have - Pup - Fox


  • Built in 1911 as Budapest by Richardson, Duck and Co., Stockton-on-Tees, England
  • Acquired by the Navy 5 November 1918 and commissioned USS Kerwood (ID 1489) the same day
  • Decommissioned 19 March 1919 and transferred to the United States Shipping Board (USSB) for return to her owner, the Kerr Navigation Corp. of New York
  • Struck a mine 12 December 1919 and sank 20 miles north of Terschelling Island, in the Frisian Islands on the northern coast of Holland.


  • Displacement 3,651 t.
  • Length 331'
  • Beam 48' 4"
  • Draft 21' 4½"
  • Speed 10 kts.
  • Complement 52
  • Armament: Two 3"/50 mounts
  • Propulsion: Two single ended and one auxiliary boiler, one 1,480ihp vertical triple expansion steam engine, one shaft.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    Kerwood 81k Photo from Robert Hurst

    Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships: Kerwood (No. 1489), formerly Budapest, was launched in 1911 by Richardson, Duck & Co., Stockton-on-Tees, England; acquired by the Navy; and commissioned 5 November 1918, Lt. Comdr. E. Ellis in command.

    Kerwood was assigned to Naval Overseas Transportation Service and commenced coaling runs from Cardiff, Wales, to French ports. The cargo ship continued these operations until 28 December when she arrived Bordeaux with 1,000 tons of Army stores. From Bordeaux she sailed to Cardiff before sailing for the United States 29 January 1919. Kerwood arrived Norfolk 27 February; decommissioned 19 March 1919; and returned to the USSB for simultaneous return to her owner.

    Back To The Main Photo Index Back to the Identification Numbered Vessel (ID) Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created by Joseph M. Radigan and maintained by David Wright
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History