Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.
Section Patrol Craft Photo Archive
Frank H. Buck (ID 1613)
Civilian call sign (1919):
Love - Dog - King - Have
Tanker:Built in 1914 by the Union Iron Works, San Francisco, CACommissioned 23 August 1917Delivered to the Navy 25 January 1918Decommissioned 29 January 1919 at New YorkTransferred 31 January 1919 to the United States Shipping Board for return to her owner, the Associated Oil Co. of San FranciscoRan aground 3 May 1924 while en route from San Francisco to Monterey, CA under ballast. The master set a safe course and left the third mate on watch. The third mate made a course change and went toseek out the captain, to get verification of his change. While the third mate was seeking out the captain, the vessel grounded on the rocks. Traveling at full speed, the vessel slid over two reefs before she came to a shuddering stop, cradled precariously by the jagged rocks of Point Pinos, Pacific Grove, CA. The Buck was freed from reef on 17 May 1924, with the assistance of wrecking ships Peacock and Homer. Following the touch-and-go salvage operations at Point Pinos, the Buck served the Associated Oil Co. faithfully until a dreadful day in March 1937. On that fateful day the ship was slowly making its way through the fog near the Golden Gate. Suddenly, out of the fog, loomed the massive President Coolidge of the American President Lines. A collision was unavoidable and within seconds the Coolidge dealt the Buck a crippling blow. Frantic efforts were made to tow the stricken vessel to port, but the Buck appeared to have a mind of its own as the strong currents of the Golden Gate channel took charge. The Buck drifted toward Point Lobos and soon broke apart on the jagged rocks.
Specifications:Displacement 6,077 t.Length 425'Beam 55' 6"Draft 27'Speed 11 kts.Complement 90Armament: One 6"/50 and one 4"/40 mountPropulsion: Three single ended boilers, one 2,600ihp verticle triple expansion steam engine, one shaft.
|Click on thumbnail
for full size image
||Probably photographed upon completion of construction in 1914
U.S. Navy photo NH 101722
|Naval Historical Center
||Photographed circa 1914-1917
U.S. Navy photo NH 64590
||Shipwrecks off Parallel Point in 1937. The Ohioan, ex-USS Ohioan (ID 3280) is in the left foreground and the Frank H. Buck is in the right background
|01||LCDR G. E. McDonald, USNRF||25 January 1918|
|02||LCDR Thomas H. McKellum, USNRF||1918|
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships: Frank H. Buck (No. 1613), a tanker, was built in 1914 by Union Iron Works, San Francisco, Calif.; acquired by the Navy 25 January 1918, and commissioned the same day, Lieutenant Commander G. E. McDonald, USNRF, in command.
After loading a full cargo of oil products at Port Arthur, Tex., Frank H. Buck cleared Hampton Roads, 19 February 1918 for Devonport and Scapa Flow, Britain, at both of which she discharged her oil into Navy storage tanks. She returned to New York 9 April 1918, and between that time and 2 December made an additional five voyages to carry oil to United Kingdom ports. On 1 September, when 5 days out of Berehaven [Ireland] homeward bound, Frank H. Buck was attacked by U-155 and in the resulting surface gunfire action of 30 minutes, scored at least two hits on the submarine, inflicting serious damage. Frank H. Buck was decommissioned at New York 29 January 1919, and 2 days later turned over to the Shipping Board for return to her owner.
This page created by Joseph M. Radigan and maintained by David Wright|