Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.


NavSource Online:
Section Patrol Craft Photo Archive

Quinnebaug (ID 1687)


Mine Planter:

  • Built in 1899 as Jefferson by the Delaware River Iron and Shipbuilding and Engineering Works, Chester, PA
  • Acquired by the Navy 3 December 1917
  • Commissioned USS Quinnebaug (ID 1687) 28 March 1918 at Brooklyn, NY
  • Decommissioned 6 February 1919 at Philadelphia, PA
  • Returned to her owner 19 March 1919
  • Fate unknown.

    Specifications:

  • Displacement 5,150 t.
  • Length 375'
  • Beam 42'
  • Draft 18' 6"
  • Speed 17 kts.
  • Complement 345
  • Armament: One 5" mount, two 3" mounts and two machine guns.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    SS Jefferson
    Quinnebaug 47k SS Jefferson photographed prior to World War I.
    U.S. Navy photo NH 42456
    Naval Historical Center
    Quinnebaug 184k Post card postmarked Norfolk, VA, 6 October 1909 Tommy Trampp
    Quinnebaug 88k Photographed circa 1917
    Naval Historical Center photo NH 105603
    Robert Hurst
    USS Quinnebaug (ID 1687)
    Quinnebaug 71k Painted in "dazzle" camouflage, 1918.
    Courtesy of Donald M. McPherson, 1969
    U.S. Navy photo NH 67875
    Naval Historical Center
    Quinnebaug 74k U.S. Navy minelayers steaming in column in the North Sea, September 1918. At left, British destroyers are covering the formation's flank with a smoke screen. Ships in the minelayer column are (from front to rear): Roanoke, Housatonic, Quinnebaug and Baltimore
    U.S. Navy photo NH 2805
    Quinnebaug 71k U.S. Navy minelayers proceeding to sea in two columns, in Area Number 2 of the North Sea, September 1918. Ships in the column at left are (from front to rear): Roanoke, Housatonic, Quinnebaug and Baltimore. Ships in column at right are (from front to rear): Canonicus (out of picture, to right), Canandaigua, Aroostook and Saranac. Note disruptive "dazzle" camouflage worn by these ships.
    Photograph from the Army Signal Corps Collection in the National Archives
    U. S. Army Signal Corps photo 111-SC-43563
    Aroostook 111k American minelayers underway on 20 September 1918. They include; on the right: USS Roanoke (ID-1695), USS Housatonic (ID-1697), USS Quinniberg (ID-1687), USS Baltimore (CM-1). On the left: USS Canonicus (ID-1696), USS Canidaiqua (ID-1694), USS Aroostock (CM-3), USS Saranac (ID-1702)
    Imperial War Museum photo No. IWM(Q 20254) from American First World War Official Exchange Collection
    Mike Green
    Aroostook 182k Quinnebaug's officers and crew pose on her foredeck, at Invergordan, Scotland, October 1918. Quinnebaug was then engaged in laying a barrage of anti-submarine mines across the North Sea. Note the "T.N.T." banner at the left end of the bridge, alluding to the mines' explosive charge material
    Naval History and Heritage Command photo NH 42071
    Robert Hurst
    Quinnebaug 103k Photographed circa 1919 by O.W. Waterman, Hampton, Virginia
    Naval History and Heritage Command photo NH 98371
    Quinnebaug 328k Photo from the 24 January 1919 edition of the Evening Public Ledger, Philadelphia, PA courtesy of Penn State University Libraries, University Park, PA Mike Mohl
    Quinnebaug 172k Photo from the 30 January 1919 edition of the Evening Public Ledger, Philadelphia, PA

    Commanding Officers
    01CDR David Pratt Mannix, USN - Awarded the Navy Distinguished Service Medal28 March 1918 - 6 February 1919
    Courtesy Joe Radigan

    Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships History: [The third] Quinnebaug (ID-1687), formerly Jefferson, was built in 1899 by Delaware River Iron and Shipbuilding and Engineering Works, Chester, Pa., for the Old Dominion Steamship Co.

    Chartered by the Navy 3 December 1917, converted to a mine planter by Robbin's Repair Basin and DryDock Co., Brooklyn, N.Y., and commissioned at Brooklyn 28 March 1918, Comdr. David Pratt Mannix in command.

    Quinnebaug reported to the Atlantic Mine Force and was ordered 13 May 1918 to Invergordon, Scotland for mining operations in the North Sea with Mine Squadron 1. From 14 July to 26 October, she successfully completed ten mining missions screened by British destroyers of the 14th Flotilla (Grand Fleet). Quinnebaug was not diverted from her mission by two encounters with German submarines 20-21 September and succeeded in planting approximately 6,040 mines in the Northern Barrage. Upon completion of this duty she returned home, decommissioned at Philadelphia 6 February 1919, and was returned to her owner 19 March 1919.


    Back To The Main Photo Index Back To the Mine Warfare Ship Photo Index Back to the Minelayer (CM) Photo Index Back to the Identification Numbered Vessel (ID) Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created and maintained by Joseph M. Radigan
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History