Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.
Identification Numbered Vessel Photo Archive
Dochra (ID 1758)
Freighter:Built in 1906 by Swan, Hunter and Wigham Richardson, Ltd., Newcastle, EnglandAcquired by the Navy 21 October 1917 and commissioned the same dayDecommissioned 10 May 1919 at New York and transferred to the Shipping Board for return to her owners, Barber and Company, Inc. of New York City the same dayFate unknown.
Specifications:Displacement 10,000 t.Length 380'Beam 51'Draft 22' 11"Speed 10.5 kts.Complement 82Armament: Two 4"/40 mountsPropulsion: Two single ended boilers, one 2,000hp verticle triple expansion steam engine, one shaft.
|Click on thumbnail
for full size image
||In port, circa 1917-1919
U.S. Navy photo NH 94483-A
|Naval Historical Center
|01||LCDR Charles H. R. Longbottom, USNRF||21 October 1917|
|02||LCDR William Rind, USNRF||1918|
|03||LCDR John L. Strousland, USNRF||1918 - 1919|
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships: Dochra (No. 1758) was built in 1906 by Swan, Hunter and Wigham Richardson, Ltd., Newcastle, England transferred from the Shipping Board 21 October 1917 and commissioned 21 October 1917, Lieutenant Commander C. H. R. Longbottom, USNRF, in command.
Between 21 November 1917 and 16 March 1919 Dochra made six voyages from Halifax, Nova Scotia, and Norfolk and New York to French ports, carrying 11,874 tons of cargo, mostly beef and other foodstuffs, for the American Expeditionary Force and naval forces operating European waters. On 29 June 1918 she sailed for Halifax with a convoy but lost company during the night. Two days later while seeking to rejoin her companions, she was overtaken by the German submarine U-151 and shelled. Dochra beat off the attack, evaded the enemy, and returned to Halifax safely.
After the war Dochra sailed from New York 26 March 1919, delivered a cargo of supplies for the fleet at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, then returned to Norfolk 16 April. She was decommissioned at New York 10 May 1919, and delivered to the Shipping Board for return to her owners the same day.
This page created and maintained by Joseph M. Radigan|