Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.
Civilian Identification Numbered Ships Photo Archive
Keresan (ID 1806)
Civilian call sign (1919):
Love - Have - Pup - Cast
Freighter:Built in 1912 as Electra by W. Pickersgill and Sons, Ltd., Newcastle, Sunderland, England for the Austro-Hungarian shipping firm of Lucovich and Co. but completed for M. U. Martinolich and Co. ofLussinpiccolo, Italy and renamed ErodiadeSold in 1917 to the Kerr Navigation Co, of New York and renamed KeresanAcquired by the Navy 18 September 1918 and commissioned USS Keresan (ID 1806) the same dayDecommissioned 26 June 1919 at New York and transferred to the United States Shipping Board for return to her ownerSold in 1921 to the United American Lines of New York and renamed Mount Seward in 1921Sold in 1922 to the Ocean Sea Navigation Co. of Budapest, Hungary and renamed DebreczenReturned to the United American Lines in 1927 and sold to the Fen Steamship Co. of London, England and renamed FenwellRenamed Chislehurst in 1928Sold in 1933 to O. E. Berin of Shanghai, China and renamed Yolande B and later YolandeWrecked 5 March 1938 on Alceste Island near Weihaiwei, China while en route from Chingwangtao to Shanghai with a load of coal.
Specifications:Displacement 8,700 t.Length 348' 6"Beam 50' 1"Draft 22' 8½"Speed 11 kts.Complement 62Armament: One 6"/50 and one 3"/50 mountPropulsion: Two single-ended and one auxiliary boiler, one 2,350hp vertical triple-expansion steam engine, one shaft.
|Click on thumbnail
for full size image
||In port with two barges alongside, possibly when inspected by the Third Naval District on 23 September 1917
Naval Historical Center photo NH 105210
|USS Keresan (ID 1806)
||Photographed circa late 1918, while painted in World War I "dazzle" camouflage
National Archives photo 19-N-14816
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships:
A family of Pueblo Indians living in the Rio Grande Valley in central New Mexico.
Keresan, a cargo ship, was launched as Electra in 1912 by Pickersgill & Sons Ltd., Newcastle, England, and, subsequently, renamed Erodiade. She was taken over by the Navy from M. U. Martinolich Co. and commissioned 18 September 1918, Lt. Comdr. R[ichard] Douglas in command.
Assigned to the Naval Overseas Transportation Service, Keresan sailed from New York 1 October with a cargo of ammunition for U.S. forces in Europe. Following the Armistice of November 1918, Keresan returned to New York 13 December to prepare for a cruise to South America. She steamed to Buenos Aires in January 1919 with general cargo, and returned New York 5 June. Keresan decommissioned 26 June 1919 and was returned to her owner.
This page created and maintained by Joseph M. Radigan|