Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.
Identification Numbered Vessel Photo Archive
Wabash (ID 1824)
Civilian call sign (1919):
Love - Have - Tare - Dog
Freighter:Built in 1900 as Wartburg by Wigham Richardson and Co., Ltd., Newcastle-on-Tyne, EnglandRenamed Türingen in 1907Renamed Seneca in 1917Acquired by the Navy 9 February 1918Commissioned USS Wabash (ID 1824), 16 February 1918Decommissioned 21 April 1919 and returned to the United States Shipping BoardSold to her former owner 22 May 1919Subsequently, she operated commericially under the U.S. flag until the mid-1920s, when she was transferred to Italian registryFate unknown.
Specifications:Displacement 10,475 t.Length 393'Beam 49' 11"Draft 26' (mean)Speed 11.4 kts.Complement 82Armament: One 5"/40 and one 3"/50 mountPropulsion: Three single ended boilers, one 2,500ihp vertical quadruple expansion steam engine, one shaft.
|Click on thumbnail
for full size image
||In port, circa 1917
U.S. Navy photo NH 89796
|Naval Historical Center
|01||LCDR Frank C. Seeley, USNRF||16 February 1918|
|02||LCDR Charles H. Sargent, USNRF||1918 - 1919|
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships: Wartburg-a single-screw, steel-hulled freighter completed in 1900 at Newcastle-on-Tyne, England, by Wigham Richardson and Co., Ltd., for service with the Deutsche Dampferfahrts Gesellschaft-was renamed Türingen between 1906 and 1907 and owned by the Norddeutscher Lloyd line. She was interned by the United States Government at the onset of World War I. In April 1917, when the United States entered the conflict, the steamer was taken over by the United States Shipping Board (USSB). She was acquired by the Navy on 9 February 1918, at Hoboken, N.J., for use with the Naval Overseas Transportation Service. The cargo ship was renamed Wabash; designated Id. No. 1824; and commissioned on the same day, Lt. Comdr. Frank C. Seeley, USNRF
Loaded with construction iron and ammunition, Wabash -departed New York City on 28 February, bound for France. After delivering her cargo at Paulliac, she returned to the United States on 22 April. She made four more voyages to St. Nazaire, France, and returned to New York from her last run on 6 April 1919. Decommissioned on 21 April, the freighter was returned to the USSB.
The ship subsequently home-ported at New York and operated under the flag of the North Atlantic and Western Steamship Co., until sometime in 1924 or 1925. She was then transferred to Italian registry.
This page created and maintained by Joseph M. Radigan|