Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online:
Section Patrol Craft Photo Archive

Kiowa (ID 1842)

Civilian call sign (1919):
Love - Have - Nan - Sail


  • Built in 1917 by American Shipbuilding Co., Cleveland, OH
  • Acquired by the Navy 26 February 1918 and commissioned USS Kiowa (ID 1842) the same day
  • Decommissioned 16 January 1919 at Norfolk, VA and returned to her owners
  • Renamed Valka, Kurzeme and Elizebete
  • Scrapped in 1960 in England.


  • Displacement 4,500 t.
  • Length 261'
  • Beam 43' 6"
  • Draft 17' 9"
  • Speed 9 kts.
  • Complement 62
  • Armament: One 5" and one 3" mount
  • Propulsion: One 1,200ihp steam engine, one shaft.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    Kiowa 78k In port, possibly when inspected by the Third Naval District circa 1917.
    Naval Historical Center photo NH 105220
    Robert Hurst

    Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships: The second Kiowa (No. 1842) was launched 1917 by the American Shipbuilding Co., Cleveland, Ohio, taken over from the Atlantic, Gulf & West Indies S.S. Line 26 February 1918; and commissioned the same day, Lt. Comdr. A. Hopen in command.

    Assigned to NOTS, Kiowa arrived Norfolk 25 March 1918, to transport coal along the Atlantic coast. She returned Hampton Roads during April to load mines for the North Sea mine-laying squadron. Kiowa sailed 30 April and arrived Obran, Scotland, 20 May. She made two additional cruises carrying mine equipment to North Sea ports before clearing Norfolk 6 December with a cargo of coal for Bermuda. Kiowa returned Norfolk 22 December, and decommissioned there 16 January 1919 for simultaneous return to her owners.

    Back To The Main Photo Index Back to the Identification Numbered Vessel (ID) Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created and maintained by Joseph M. Radigan
    © 2008 Joseph M. Radigan © 1996 - 2008 NavSource Naval History. All Rights Reserved.