Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.
Section Patrol Craft Photo Archive
Severance (ID 2063)
Civilian call sign (1919):
Love - George - Have - Dog
Freighter:Built in 1909 as Gladstone by Ropner and Sons, Stockton-on-Tees, EnglandRenamed Martin Quezada, Nords Kov and SeveranceAcquired by the Navy 9 August 1918Commissioned USS Severance (ID 2063) at New YorkDecommissioned 3 March 1919 at Philadelphia, PA and transferred to the United States Shipping Board for return to her ownerRenamed Yankee Sword in 1941Scrapped in 1948 at Philadelphia.
Specifications:Displacement 9,769 t.Length 378' 3"Beam 53'Draft 23' 6"Depth of hold 27' 3"Speed 10 kts.Complement 62Propulsion: One 1,800ihp steam engine, one shaft.
|Click on thumbnail
for full size image
||In port, probably at New York when she was inspected there on 21 November 1917.
Naval Historical Center photo NH 105233
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships History: Severance was built during 1909 by Ropner & Sons, Stockton-on-Tees, England, as the steel, single-screw freighter, Gladstone; was subsequently renamed Martin Quezada and, still later, Severance, was acquired by the United States Navy on 9 August 1918 from the Union Sulphur Co., of New York City, for service in World War I, and commissioned at New York on 19 August 1918, Lt. Comdr. J. F. Bock, USNRF, in command.
Assigned to the Naval Overseas Transportation Service (NOTS), Severance, carrying locomotives and general cargo, departed Norfolk on 7 September 1918 in convoy for Brest, France. Subsequent to returning to New York on 2 November, she sailed on 4 December for her only postwar transatlantic voyage for NOTS. She reached Quiberon Bay on the 23d and proceeded to St. Nazaire.
Departing that port on 25 January 1919, Severance called at Bermuda before arriving at Philadelphia on 25 February. She was decommissioned and transferred to the United States Shipping Board on 3 March 1919 for simultaneous return to her owner at Pier 78, South Wharf, Philadelphia.
This page created and maintained by Joseph M. Radigan|