Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online:
Section Patrol Craft Photo Archive

John G. Olsen (SP 2377)


Tug: Built in 1916 by Hawley Miller, New Baltimore, NY; Acquired by the Navy, 16 April 1918 and commissioned the same day; Returned to her owners, the Olsen Water and Towing Co. of New York 28 August 1919. (The Olsen Water and Towing Co. was sold to Moran Towing of New York in 1950). Fate unknown.

Specifications: Displacement 61 t.; Length 76'; Beam 19'; Draft 8'; Speed 10 kts.; Complement unknown; Armament none; Propulsion steam, one shaft.


Click on thumbnail
for full size image
Size Image Description Source
John G. Olsen 97k Photographed circa 1916-17.
U.S. Navy photo NH 101945
Naval Historical Center
John G. Olsen 130k In port, possibly in the New York City area when she was inspected by the Third Naval District on 3 March 1918.
Naval Historical Center photo NH 99433
Robert Hurst

Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships History: John G. Olsen (SP-2377), a steam tug, was built in 1916 by Hawley Miller, New Baltimore, N.Y., and acquired from her owners, Olsen Water & Towing Co., of New York, 16 April 1918. Her first commanding officer was Ens. G. Montague, USNRF.

Assigned duty in the 5th Naval District, John G. Olsen steamed from New York to Norfolk, arriving 23 April via the inland route. There she took up duty as a tug and general purpose harbor ship in Hampton Roads for Naval Overseas Transportation Service, a vital organization in the transport of men and material to France. After the Armistice, she served at Indian Head, Md., before being returned to her owners 28 August 1919.


Back To The Main Photo Index Back To the Patrol Craft/Gunboat/Submarine Chaser Ship Type Index Back To The Section Patrol Craft Photo Index

Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

This page created and maintained by Joseph M. Radigan
© 2005 Joseph M. Radigan © 1996 - 2005 NavSource Naval History. All Rights Reserved.