Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.
Civilian Identification Numbered Ships Photo Archive
Ripple (ID 2439)
Foam Class Trawler/Minesweeper:Built as Ripple in 1910 by the Fore River Shipbuilding Co., Quincy, MALaunched 20 November 1910Delivered 23 December 1910Purchased by the Russian Government in 1917 and renamed T44Acquired by the Navy 29 May 1918Placed in service as Ripple (ID 2439), 6 August 1918Decommissioned 11 February 1919 at the New York Navy Yard and returned to the Czarist Russian Government the same dayFate unknown.
Specifications:Displacement 450 t.Length 114' 4"Beam 22' 6"Draft 9' 9"Speed 11 kts.Complement 33Armament: One 6-pounder and two machine gunsPropulsion: One single ended boiler, one 450hp vertical triple expansion steam engine, one shaft.
|Click on thumbnail
for full size image
||Tied up together, probably prior to their World War I Navy service. These trawlers, previously owned by the Bay State Fishing Company, of Boston, were chartered by the Navy from representatives of the Russian Government in May 1918 and later commissioned as USS Foam (ID 2496), USS Ripple (ID 2439) and USS Spray (ID 2491)
U.S. Navy photo NH 102236
|Naval Historical Center
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships History: The second Ripple was launched 20 November 1910 by Fore River Shipbuilding Co., Quincy, Mass., as a steel fishing trawler for the Bay State Fishing Co. of Massachusetts. During 1917 the commercial U.S. trawlers Foam, Ripple, and Spray were purchased by the Czarist Russian Government. Ripple being renamed T44, but remained in the United States due to the deteriorating Russian political situation. She was chartered 29 May 1918 for U.S. Navy service under her original mercantile name, Ripple, and placed in service 6 August 1918 at Tebo's Yacht Basin, N.Y., Chief Boatswain Mate Lewis E. Dodd in command.
Outfitted as a minesweeper, Ripple operated on patrol and minesweeping duty off the Ambrose and Fire Island light vessels into 1919 while stationed at Base No. 8, Tompkinsville N.Y. Decommissioned 11 February 1919 at the New York Navy Yard, Ripple was returned to representatives of the Czarist Russian Government the same day.
This page created and maintained by Joseph M. Radigan|