Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.
Section Patrol Craft Photo Archive
Peter H. Crowell (ID 2987)
Civilian call sign:
Love - Cast - Rush - Nan
Jean Class Freighter:Built in 1912 by the Newport News Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Co., Newport News, VAAcquired by the Navy 19 December 1917Commissioned 20 December 1917 at the Boston Navy YardDecommissioned 20 March 1919 at New York and returned to her owners the same dayChanged owners in 1924 and 1936Scrapped in 1939.
Specifications:Displacement 7,700 t.Length 328'Beam 46' 1"Draft 22'Speed 9 kts.Complement 71Armament: One 5"/51 and one 3"/50 mountPropulsion: Two single ended and one auxiliary boiler, one 1,360hp verticle triple expansion steam engine, one shaft.
|Click on thumbnail
for full size image
|SS Peter H. Crowell
||Photograph was probably taken by E.P Griffith of Newport News, Virginia, probably at the time of the ship's completion by the Newport News Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Co.
Naval Historical Center photo NH 65120
|USS Peter H. Crowell (ID 2987)
||Naval Historical Center photo NH 105280
|01||LCDR George F. Nickerson, USNRF||1918|
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships: Peter H. Crowell (No. 2987), a service collier, was built in 1912 by Newport News Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Co., Newport News, Va., for the Crowell and Thurlow Steamship Co., Boston, Mass. Acquired by the Navy from Crowell and Thurlow Steamship Co., she commissioned into NOTS at the Boston Navy Yard 20 December 1917.
Commencing in February 1918, Peter H. Crowell made several cargo runs to France. Normally she joined up with a convoy at New York and steamed for St. Nazaire France. She returned from her last NOTS European voyage 11 November 1918.
Overhaul at New York was followed by a call at San Diego, Calif. where Peter H. Crowell delivered cargo 14 January 1919. She then returned to New York, decommissioned there 20 March, and was returned to her owner the same day.
This page created and maintained by Joseph M. Radigan|