Please report any broken links or trouble you might come across to the Webmaster. Please take a moment to let us know so that we can correct any problems and make your visit as enjoyable and as informative as possible.

NavSource Online:
Section Patrol Craft Photo Archive

Lake Forest (ID 2991)



Civilian call sign (1919):
Love - Jig - George - Dog

Freighter:

  • Built in 1917 as War Fox by the American Shipbuilding Co., Lorain, OH
  • Renamed Lake Forest while under construction
  • Launched 3 November 1917
  • Acquired by the Navy 24 December 1917
  • Commissioned USS Lake Forest (ID 2991), 15 January 1918
  • Decommissioned 4 March 1919 and returned to the United States Shipping Board
  • Sold in 1920 to Lloyd Royal Belge S.A. of Antwerp, Belgium and renamed Venetier
  • Sold in 1925 to Armement Gylsen S.A. of Antwerp and renamed Tabakhandel
  • Sold again in 1925 to ESTE, S.S de Nav. Sud Atlantica of Buenos Aires, Argentina
  • Sold in 1931 to Cia Argentina de Nav. Mihanovich of Buenos Aires
  • Sold in 1937 to Cia Carbonifera y de Fundicion Schwager of Valparaiso, Chile and renamed Chollin
  • Sold in 1948 to Fabrica de Cemento El Melon SA of Valparaiso and renamed Rafael Ariztia
  • Sold in 1956 to Cia Maritima Valck and Monckton of Valparaiso and renamed San Patricio
  • Sold in 1957 to Georgios Vatikiotis of Piraeus, Greece and renamed Mary V
  • Sold again in 1957 to Geo. Sigalas' Sons of Piraeus and renamed Kadio S
  • Scrapped at Gijon, Spain in 1960.

    Specifications:

  • Displacement 1,157 t.
  • Length 261'
  • Beam 43' 6"
  • Draft 18' 1"
  • Speed 10 kts.
  • Complement 79
  • Armament: One 5" mount and one 6-pounder
  • Propulsion: One 1,300ihp steam engine, one shaft.
    Click on thumbnail
    for full size image
    Size Image Description Source
    Lake Forest 50k . Historical Collections of the Great Lakes
    Lake Forest 101k In this photo she is still wearing the "War" name originally assigned by the British, for whom the ship was being built until the U. S. Shipping Board requisitioned her in August 1917.
    Naval Historical Center photo NH 68583
    Robert Hurst
    Lake Forest 69k In this photo she is still wearing the "War" name originally assigned by the British, for whom the ship was being built until the U. S. Shipping Board requisitioned her in August 1917.
    Naval Historical Center photo NH 68584
    Robert Hurst

    Commanding Officers
    01LCDR H. R. O. Johnston, USNRF15 January 1918
    02LCDR Holger E. Berg, USNRF - Awarded the Navy Cross (1918)1918
    Courtesy Joe Radigan

    View the Lake Forest (ID 2991)
    DANFS history entry located on the Naval Historical Center website

    Back To The Main Photo Index Back to the Identification Numbered Vessel (ID) Photo Index

    Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster

    This page created and maintained by Joseph M. Radigan
    All pages copyright NavSource Naval History