|Click on thumbnail
for full size image
|S. N. A. 4|
|86k||Possibly photographed upon completion of her construction by the Great Lakes Engineering Works, Detroit, Michigan, in 1917
U.S. Navy photo NH 70461
|Naval Historical Center|
|111k||Possibly photographed when she was inspected by the Third Naval District on 28 December 1917
U.S. Navy photo NH 99405
|USS Evansville (ID 2996)|
Ship's Officers and Crew posed on the ship's main deck, just forward of her bridge, and on her first superstructure deck. The reverse of the original print bears a hand-written date of 30 August 1919, a week after Evansville was decommissioned. Note the use of portable platforms to support the crewmen standing on either side of the hatch
Panoramic photograph by Hughes and Estabrook, 251 W. 42nd St., New York City
Donation of First Sergeant Gregory D. Casler, USMC, (Retired), 2004
Naval History and Heritage Command photo NH 102921
|01||LCDR George Talmadge Rex, USNRF||16 February 1918 - 1919|
|02||LCDR Hans R. Hansen, USNRF||1919|
A city in Indiana.
The first Evansville (No. 2996), a cargo ship, was built in 1917 by Great Lakes Engineering Works, Detroit, Mich., as Lake Tahoe, acquired by the Navy 24 December 1917, commissioned as Lake Tahoe 16 February 1918, Lieutenant Commander G. T. Rex, USNRF, in command; and renamed Evansville 25 November 1918.
Between 25 February 1918 and 7 January 1919, Evansville made two voyages to France and two to the United Kingdom, carrying a variety of cargo which included tractors for the French Ministry of Agriculture, and returning with naval guns and stores no longer needed at Scottish bases.
Evansville made two voyages from Hampton Roads to San Francisco from 15 February 1919 to 9 May, then was decommissioned 23 August 1919 at Norfolk, and returned to the Shipping Board.
|Back To The Main Photo Index||Back to the Civilian Identification Numbered Ships (ID) Photo Index|
|Comments, Suggestions, E-mail Webmaster|
This page created and maintained by Joseph M. Radigan|